Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
, the press & seal plastic wrap- you draw on it- stick it to the block-stitch- then tear it away---or you can use any number of transfer pencils/markers available.
be sure & show us pictures! we always love to see them!!!
While this method would work with machine quilting, as a hand quilter I would not do this. In fact I think handquilting through anything more than your 3 layers would be detrimental to acheiving even stitches and make it much harder if for small stitches.

To transfer a design I have used Transdoodle transfer paper. It is pricey but well worth the cost. Be forewarned, it rubs off very easy so I only mark as I go with that product. I have heard many recommend Saral transfer paper. It comes in white and graphite. It is wax free and supposed to be good for transferring on to fabric. But I have never used it myself. I have had great luck with the purple air/water soluble markers. These are the kind where the marks disappear after a while. But I have had the marks fade very quickly so there is that to consider. I have also had wonderful luck with the fons and porter mechanical pencil for marking using a stencil. For doing straight lines I have used masking tape and just quilted right next to the tape but I prefer to use a ruler and mark with with a Chalko liner that lays down a thin line of chalk.

Our member "Borntohandquilt" does needle marking. Just do a search for her posts and you will find her tute.

For pattern sources, they are all around you! Look at architectural elements on buildings, wrought Iron gates and furniture, mosaic tiles. If you like traditional designs you may wish to consider some of Karen McTavish's books. Her designs are suitable for hand or machine quilting and they are loaded with wonderful designs. The book "The Essential Quilter" is a sound investment. Loads of advice, drawings, designs, etc.