Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
flhomeschoolmom

Originally Posted by mumzer View Post
How is your Dad disabled? Does he use a walker? Young kittys have a tendency to wind around your legs. Maybe an older cat that wil just like to sit and be pette and just keep him company. Will the cat be an inside/outside cat. Maybe a kitty door in place of a litter box. Can your Dad open a can of food or would a box of dry food be easier? Some things to consider. It would be nice if he can do something for the pet. Maybe an older cat that still likes to play with toys ( so your Dad can watch and enjoy) but one that will sit and listen to stories of days gone by.
Wish you luck in finding the right pet. Please keep us posted.
What I would do is purchase the automatic food and water dispenser. Simply fill the dispenser with dry cat food on one side and water on the other side. It will then refill the bowls itself and they only have to be refilled every few days to a week depending on the size you buy and the amount the cat consumes. It has also been my experience that it's less pleasant to clean the litter box of a cat that eats canned food. I've given my cats canned in the past, and trust me, nothing but dry stuff now.