View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 AM
cwcquilters

Default Frabric and the freezer

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
This may be way off topic, but I used to put my nylons and panty hose in a container of water and freeze the overnight, and I'll swear they lasted longer and didn't snag as easily. This suggestion came from the manufacturer, and was meant for brand new hose. I think if we enlisted a chemist, he/she could tell us what the freezing process does to the fibers in the materials that are frozen.

I hear you when you note that the technology has changed, and "frost free" freezers remove moisture instead of adding it. But we haven't determined yet if it's the addition of moisture or the act of freezing that is providing the beneficial help for the thread, and it sounds like it's the freezing alone. If you're concerned about adding a bit of moisture, you could always do as I did, and freeze it in a container of water, or not as drastic, just a sealed plastic bag with moisture in it.
That would solve the problem.

This is not the first time I've heard it suggested that I put some kind of material into the freezer - dry or wet - for at least 24 hours to obtain a beneficial result. I'm thinking there has to be something to it. If it works, then I say "go for it!"
Why argue with success?

Cheers!
When we used to dampen our clothes to iron them and couldn't get to them in a timely fashion we always put them in the freezer so they would not "sour". They ironed so much easier.

Nancy