View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
One thing I need to figure out is how to cut tumblers without a lot of waste. Any ideas?
First, mark your die with a sharpie, extending the cutting blade lines out into the foam. This way you can easily see if you have positioned the fabric correctly. If you have a die with black foam, use a metallic color. I do this on all my new dies.
I'm assuming you have the stacked 3.5" tumbler die that cuts 3 pieces at a go.
Cut a strip of fabric the height of the entire cut, should be about 10.5", but cut 11 just to be sure.
Place the fabric on the die right side up, positioning it so the cut will be on the edge. Roll the rest of the strip up so that it will go thru the machine next to the die. Make the cut.
Now, flip the fabric to the wrong side. Should be able to nest this cut edge into the die shape. Make the second cut. Continue across the strip of fabric.
I would practice this technique with newspaper to make sure you are comfortable with it before proceeding to fabric.
Additional tips: get a notebook and write the size of the sub cut you would need for that particular die. Do some calcualting and figure out how many of those shapes you can get out of a FQ, a yard etc... I actually write this on the back of the die. I have a bunch of strip cutters and have written the size of the strip on the foam. 2" looks pretty close to 2.25.
Also use a piece of painters tape to make a perpendicular line on your strip cutter so you can cut a folded piece of fabric. Put the tape on, cut a folded piece of folded newspaper and make sure you don't have a "V". Adjust the tape until you get a perfect cut, then mark the die with a sharpie. Do this on both ends.

Yes, they make the dies to do a storm at sea, but it's not a set and one of the sections is pieced a bit differently. Let me take a look and see if I can get the die numbers.