View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 AM
AshleyR

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Here is a link to more info on QB:http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t162425.html if it is like the one here with out the typewriter keys, there is a lot of good, practical information. It should be a very nice machine fixed up. You would be surprised how much you would like it and how simple it really is. It will do everything a new machine you can buy at WM except it will last 50 years or more longer. You are welcome to PM the major contributors on there if you have any questions. I also have one like yours with the godzilla finish. It was filthy. It cleaned up and then I tested it - it sews just fine. The cords need to be replaced. Check to see if there are any cracks or bare wires. Is the smell coming from the motor or the machine? Check the machine inside and out for lint, dried up oil and anything else might be there. The motor just needs to be used unless the wires are broken up. It would be VERY easy to put a new motor and new wires on it - there are just a couple screws. You can get what you need from sew-classic.com - I showed cleaning out grease pots on the above thread - be careful if you take apart the needle holder.
Wow, amazing! I have a Kenmore in that condition that I didn't even touch. It makes a great door stop!

I don't know where the smell is coming from. I only had it plugged in for 30 seconds or so! I saw the gears were nasty, so I didn't push it. I didn't mess with her last night either. She still sitting in the kitchen by the door I dragged her in through. I'll clean her up on Sunday and oil her and we'll go from there!