Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Admin
Administrator

Do you expect that the existing membership will violate the new rules, or do you think it is mostly new members who don't read the rules AND are not aware of the kerfluffel we had a while ago?
I expect both to happen.

Do you have an example of what you think should be in the GCC rather than in the PDA?
Well, the idea was for posts like "I'm having a surgery tomorrow, please pray for me" to go into PDA so that people close to that particular user would follow up. And posts like "Check out the pics of my countryside" to go into GCC because many "strangers" would enjoy it too.

But it seems like we have the opposite going on right now.

I think letting the member know that the topic would also be appreciated in the CCC might be a good start.
I tried contacting a few people when I first noticed it. But it's not working. People continue to post the way they post.

And deleting posts in PDA if they are in violation of PDA's guidelines to force them to use GCC is something I would like to avoid.

The idea for PDA was to create a safe and personal place for each user. But it turned into something else. There are people posting pictures of quilts and projects they are working on. Why would they want to "hide it away" from the rest of the board by not posting it in Pictures?

I don't know. But I see that happening.

If I did something wrong, I would not be opposed to getting a pm letting me know.
That's what the moderators do now. PM the authors.

But that's not working.

PMing everyone who posted in a thread to be deleted is going to take a lot of work, so it's not really possible. And PMing only the author of the thread leaves a lot of people wondering what happened.

That's why I'm considering locks instead of deletions.

This way, the issue is handled in private (no loss of face) and the member has an opportunity to fix their message.
That sounds nice in theory. Unfortunately, it works out a little bit differently.

There isn't always a way to "fix" the message. Most of the time, it's completely against the rules.

People just get upset and refuse to understand why their posts were deleted.

And from what I learned today (well confirmed really, not learned) is they then go out and start telling everyone about how unjust were the actions of the moderator.

So I want the community to work out the procedure and then stick to it.