Old 09-11-2009, 02:55 PM
BlueChicken

I think back to the way it was is a good idea.

I never saw a joke that offended me in GCC, mind you, we seem to be a little broader minded over here, and a little less sensitive. There are limits, definitely, and some jokes in the world can be incredibly offensive and over the top. But we're not the kind of people in here that ever repeat those ones. Overall, we're good people, we do good things for each other, and we care a lot. Some of us are religious, some of us are not, some are a little risque, some are not. No one group should be able to set the moral standard of the board, it needs to be broad and it needs to allow for everyone. And if you don't like what's in a thread, close it and don't go back in. Quite simple really. I think some people in here have been getting a little carried away, getting offended on behalf of someone else, or just looking for things to take offense at.
We're all adults, we're not all the same, and no one is intentionally trying to hurt, offend, or hassle someone. People would do well to remember that.

I know that escalation happens.... someone posts a joke and the next one is a little more, the next one a little more again.... so what's wrong with a quick little comment "crikey, lets not get too carried away", and leave it at that. A rule will never cover all eventualities, there will always be something outside the box. So just deal with it when it arises. People WILL learn. The problem for the moderators is that with new people all the time they may face the same situation over and over. That's a pain, but it's just part of life, like being a teacher.

And for the negativity thing.... that's just life too. Sometimes times are bad, sometimes they're good. There are cycles where it seems like every second thread is a "woe is me" type. But people don't leave in droves do they? We're all still here. Just close the thread, walk away, and come back in a few days. Or better still, post a happy thread to balance it!! Now there's a novel idea! ;-)

I understand the dilema for Admin, trying to keep everyone happy but I really think this has become a mountain when it's actually just a molehill. Life is never simple, and it's never easy, and it never fits neatly into a little tidy box. It's messy, it's dirty, sometimes it's negative, and sometimes it hurts. But more often it's fun, and happy, and postitive, and great! It's all a matter of which side you focus on :-)