Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 AM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Admin
Apparently it's time. At least some people have shown frustration with the current system. Whether it's genuine or not remains to be seen.
I am a bit amused at the moment: Earlier in this thread, a member questioned the appearance a brandspanking new member might get of the QB as a whole if they read some content on the PDA section to start (I paraphrased).

In another forum I play on, the equivalent of the PDA section cannot be accessed by new members until they have posted a certain number of times - which implies that they had a chance to get to know the forum as a whole, and understand the lay of the land as well as the tone of the more established members.

A new member is most likely going to view the Quilt-related topics when they join a Quilting Board. IMO if a brandspankin' new member immediately goes to the PDA section and makes/expresses critical judgments based on a few posts, she (or he) is probably an insufferable gossip, a preachy moralist, or a trouble-maker. (That is what we learned in the other forum) For some people, falling in on private conversations and jumping to conclusions is the only exercise they get all day.

If the PDA wasn't there, I would not have any real heartache with it. I am a grown-up. I don't get my jollies from being a trouble-maker and I do not NEED a social networking site. I do admit to a seedy sense of humor and am occasionally hard-pressed to keep my mouth shut - even when my fingertips itch to write an (in)appropriate reply. In the PDA section, I can let my inner monster out (to a point) and I must say that from my perspective, even the PDA is kept decent. There is innuendo but that is part of the fun (for me anyway). It is a great way to get to know members better and keep up with everyone's life.

It seems that purists would want ONLY quilting-related sections/items;
Moralists would want the above with religious undertones allowed and the option to judge others;
Trouble makers would disagree with whatever is there or not there;
The majority would be OK with the way the QB is set up;
Some would not follow the rules because they either don't understand the rules or they do not see that the rules apply to them;
Admin and moderators will have to work with the above lot.

Good luck with that.

I personally think things are going swimmingly. (Oh, and if any member felt that I was writing about them specifically, I can assure you that I was not. I honestly did not have anyone in mind for any of my comments. As far as I'm concerned, you're all good people.)