Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
IMO if a brandspankin' new member immediately goes to the PDA section and makes/expresses critical judgments based on a few posts, she (or he) is probably an insufferable gossip, a preachy moralist, or a trouble-maker. (That is what we learned in the other forum) For some people, falling in on private conversations and jumping to conclusions is the only exercise they get all day.

It seems that purists would want ONLY quilting-related sections/items;
Moralists would want the above with religious undertones allowed and the option to judge others;
Trouble makers would disagree with whatever is there or not there;
The majority would be OK with the way the QB is set up;
Some would not follow the rules because they either don't understand the rules or they do not see that the rules apply to them;
Admin and moderators will have to work with the above lot.
Here here Mad!

(Sorry to edit you - it's not that the rest of what you said wasn't noteworthy, just that these two bits just about sum up what I feel! :D )

Just to clarify an earlier point - I was NOT saying that the Board before PDA was dry and impersonal - then, all the off topic chat was in GCC for all to share and it was to me, preferable that way but some ppl didn't like it so it was changed. Now it's OK, not better IMHO but OK.

I don't know if the concerns that the content of PDA creates a bad impression to new members can be justified. It doesn't seem like it - I don't have the stats but lots of new and good ppl seem to have joined recently.

Regarding the deleting of posts in GCC - apparently some recent threads have offended some ppl and they've been moved or deleted. That is the decision of Admin and the mods, it's their party. We had this discussion before about what is and isn't offensive and I thought we'd agreed that it was up to Admin and the mods to decide. If ppl complain, tough. Apparently THEY agreed that these posts were offensive, although others (me included) didn't find it so.

If it wasn't for butterflywing and the funny links she puts up, and Karla's horses I probably wouldn't visit GCC at all anymore. :D