View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Phyllis nm

Default Chimichangas-[i think you know as "wet burritos"]

This is how I make mine. <O:p></O:p>
I make the CHIMICHANGAS first and freeze them. It is a lot of work, so I make them and freeze them ahead of time. About a month ago I made 100. Then I make the sauce and freeze it in 1 ½ to 2 cup portions. {One pkg. for each burrito.} They are in high demand among my friends. Then I thaw them in the microwave and toast the burritos in a toaster oven so they are crisp again. Top with cheese and sauce and diced lettuce and tomatoes. In 20 minutes I can set a feast on the table fast.<O:p></O:p>
You can cut the measurements down.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
CHIMICHANGAS<O:p></O:p>
I pressure cook my pinto beans with smoked ham hocks. [Then add salt and green chili] [Much better than refried beans then I take the ham out.]<O:p></O:p>
Drain the juice off in a bowl; mash them you may need to add a little juice back, set aside.<O:p></O:p>
Dice onions<O:p></O:p>
Take an ex-large tortilla adds beans, onions, cheese and roll up, secure with a toothpick.<O:p></O:p>
Then deep fry.<O:p></O:p>
Cool and wrap to freeze.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
MY CHIMICHANGA SAUCE<O:p></O:p>
In a large pot!<O:p></O:p>
Fry large package of lean <ST1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Hamburg</st1:State></ST1:place> meat, with onions, garlic salt, and black pepper.<O:p></O:p>
Set aside and drain the fat off in a strainer.<O:p></O:p>
Same pan, I dice about 8 lbs. of potatoes, onions, garlic salt, a little water, a little oil and smother with lid on, stir often you want to soften the potatoes and brown them a little. [Like smothered potatoes.] <O:p></O:p>
When done add green chili and you want to fry it a little to spark the chili taste.<O:p></O:p>
Then add meat back to the pot.<O:p></O:p>
Then add 1 gallon of tomato sauce, one gallon diced tomatoes, about one gallon hot water.<O:p></O:p>
Bring up to a boil, then simmer, as you add more garlic salt, black pepper, a little oregano.<O:p></O:p>
You can thin with water or thicken with instance potatoes.<O:p></O:p>