View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Friday1961

Default Singer machine survey/suggestions

My Singer Golden Touch 'N Sew, a gift from my husband, bought new, has served me well for more than 30 years. It's only the second machine I've ever owned--the first was also a Singer--a very reliable standard black electric, probably 1940s model, bought used, that never needed repair. From reading quilting blogs I've learned what a bad rep the GT&S machines have, but mine has been wonderful...until now. For the first time, I've got problems with it and from what I read online it may be the timing. I'll have it repaired anyway, if possible, and will keep it because I love it...and my husband gave it to me. But I'm considering buying another machine and since I'm familiar with Singers and don't want the learning curve that comes with a different brand, I'm leaning toward a Singer. I don't want to spend huge amounts of money nor do I particularly want what is labeled a "quilter". Just a good, reliable machine with a few bells and whistles I don't currently have, such as automatic threader, automatic needle return, and a few fancy stitches, etc. Something this side of $500, preferably less. I bought a walking foot for my GT&S so it would be nice if it fits the new machine, or if the new machine comes with a walking foot. Whatever I get will have to fit in a table since I'm used to a level playing field
;-).

Anyone care to weigh in on what you're using? What you like and what you don't? What you'd do differently if you were buying again? I'm especially interested in modern Singers but would welcome comments on other brands and models, as well. I've noticed that some Youtube video quiltmakers use Singers, but can't tell what the models are. I read a review online that said that the thread holder on a new Singer was flimsy and other parts of it seemed cheap; that's the kind of thing I'm worried about and want to stay away from. Mainly I just don't know what's out there or what's good, since I haven't been in the market for many years.

Thanks in advance to all who comment!