View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 AM
FroggyinTexas

Oh, for crying out loud! I've been quilting for 40 years and I am not going to do complicated blocks or any pattern with super small pieces. My motto is keep it simple and large because I like simple and large. People who want to do flying geese, etc. are wonderful and more power to them. But I don't think anybody is a legitimate "newbie" after the first quilt is finished unless you consider that we are all "newbies" bcause we are always learning something new.
I hope you aren't one of those people who isn't happy unless they are feeling guilty over something! For example, I could be feeling guilty right now because I can't decide whether the verb that follows "who"in the last sentence should be singular or plural because I can't decide whether its subject is "one" or "people" or "who."If the subject is "people," is it a collective noun that takes a singular verb? Fiddlesticks! As Winston Churchill once said about dangling prepositions, "This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put." Same thing with whether you want to call yourself a "newbie." froggyintexas
Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I first started quilting in 1992 and then started making rag dolls and sold them in quilt shops along with the patterns. I did that for years. Then I started doing other hobbies. About 3 years ago I got back into quilting and 2 years ago I quit my job and I quilt about 3-4 days a week. I have made over 20 quilts, but I've never made a Y seam (don't even want to try) and shy away from hard blocks. I still fumble over flying geese. I finally had to make them using the one seam method. I see all the beautiful quilts everyone makes here and some of the newbie ones and I still can't figure out if I am a newbie or not. I have a LOT to learn. I don't quilt my quilts. I take them to the LAQ. I applique a lot. I'm learning paper piecing now. I'm doing the free BOM at www.craftsy.com and have been able to make every block easily, but they are easy blocks, which is what I do. But when I look at all the pictures of everyone's quilts, I think I belong in the "newbie" section. So should I consider myself a newbie, which is fine by me because then I don't feel so guilty that I don't try advanced blocks.