Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When you do decide you are not a newbie?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

When you do decide you are not a newbie?

I first started quilting in 1992 and then started making rag dolls and sold them in quilt shops along with the patterns. I did that for years. Then I started doing other hobbies. About 3 years ago I got back into quilting and 2 years ago I quit my job and I quilt about 3-4 days a week. I have made over 20 quilts, but I've never made a Y seam (don't even want to try) and shy away from hard blocks. I still fumble over flying geese. I finally had to make them using the one seam method. I see all the beautiful quilts everyone makes here and some of the newbie ones and I still can't figure out if I am a newbie or not. I have a LOT to learn. I don't quilt my quilts. I take them to the LAQ. I applique a lot. I'm learning paper piecing now. I'm doing the free BOM at www.craftsy.com and have been able to make every block easily, but they are easy blocks, which is what I do. But when I look at all the pictures of everyone's quilts, I think I belong in the "newbie" section. So should I consider myself a newbie, which is fine by me because then I don't feel so guilty that I don't try advanced blocks.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I don't worry about titles. If you've made 20 quilts, you are a quilter, period.

The only thing that really needs a label for identification is a tin can...is it peaches, pasta or paint. As far as quilting 'ranks', it's your skill level that determines that, not quantity or longevity. Some people are beginners after 30 years, others are advanced after a single quilt. The higher you aim, the higher you'll get, but only you can decide where to set your goals. Call yourself a quilter, for that is what you are.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I think you are not a newbie. We all choose which patterns we want to use, so what if you like easy ones, so do I and I've been at this around 50 years.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    there is no reason to label yourself according to skill- there are quilters who have been doing it for 20+ years and then a new technique comes along and they are again a 'newbe'
    the classification should only be considered when choosing a new pattern to try- if it says it's for an advanced quilter you may still find it easy---or it may contain some new techniques that you be beyond your abilities- until you learn the technique-
    but truely- don't 'label' yourself- just accept you are a quilter- that's label enough.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    The only thing that really needs a label for identification is a tin can...is it peaches, pasta or paint. As far as quilting 'ranks', it's your skill level that determines that, not quantity or longevity. Some people are beginners after 30 years, others are advanced after a single quilt. The higher you aim, the higher you'll get, but only you can decide where to set your goals. Call yourself a quilter, for that is what you are.
    see me

I like the way you think! I've been quilting for 30 years now (I started when I was 2 years old... LOL!). I still consider myself a newbie. But that's just how I see me. I could care less how everybody rates my quilting ability. 20 quilts is nothing to sneeze out!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I don't worry about titles. If you've made 20 quilts, you are a quilter, period.
    This!

Alison

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    The only thing that really needs a label for identification is a tin can...is it peaches, pasta or paint..
    Nice Thought! I don't think it matters whether you have done Y seams, paper piecing, applique, or a thousand of other techniques that are out there. If you make quilts, you are a quilter!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Your not a newbie, many quilters have shyed away from hard blocks, I have been quilting about 14 years and have not done a y seam. My new policy to get over my fear though is to try one new technique a year that I am interested in but scared to try, two if I have time among my UFO's. It never hurts to try, and if you don't like it donate it or give it to someone here who does. If you don't try you will never know if your any good at it or if you will really love that area of quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    This!

Alison
    My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    My sentiments exactly!!

I wouldn't worry about it. Just have fun. Many people find it more relaxing to make easier quilts. I also prefer quilts that are used as in slept under and dragged along.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    there is no reason to label yourself according to skill- there are quilters who have been doing it for 20+ years and then a new technique comes along and they are again a 'newbe'
    the classification should only be considered when choosing a new pattern to try- if it says it's for an advanced quilter you may still find it easy---or it may contain some new techniques that you be beyond your abilities- until you learn the technique-
    but truely- don't 'label' yourself- just accept you are a quilter- that's label enough.
    I agree with ckcowl and ghostrider!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    If you are a newbie, then so am I. I learn something new every day!!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

It is okay not to want to make advanced blocks...or I sure hope it is!! I admire those who enjoy the challenge, but I am not interested in them. That could change someday or not....either way is okay with me. So I am one of you. As my best friend says, we are made of the same cookie dough!

Dina

Blog Entries
    Well, I don't even make quilt tops! I only Quilt them, so I truly am a "Quilter", but you certainly have more experience than I do! I have tried doing the things you love and it's too advanced for me! I only like the part where I've got something in the sewing machine; you can keep the fabric shopping, the cutting, and the seams! Give me a cone full of thread and a comfy chair! There are some people who enjoy the entire process and are very good at it. Then there are people like us

I think if it's something you're actively doing, you can consider yourself a quilter (or knitter, or baker, or soap-maker, or painter, etc). When I took my 10-year break from quilting, I would mention that I used to quilt. I started up again late last year and now I say, "I quilt!"

Who cares? If you are doing this because it's something you enjoy, what difference does a title make? Just enjoy the whole process.

The wonderful thing about quilting is that we can advance at our own pace and take challenges if and when we feel like it. My advancement has been slow and enjoyable. Although I don't do the difficult techniques, my seams match, my binding has square mitered corners, and my quilts are attractive (in my opinion) and sturdy. Most importantly, I love what I am doing!

Dayle

I agree with everyone. I still consider myself a beginner/intermediate even with about 20 quilts under my belt. I might have done one Y seam just to see if I could do it, but it isn't in a quilt. I get dizzy when a pattern says "cut 24 strips of the white fabric 2 x4; 58 half square something or other and on and on". I just can't manage all of that without swooning. so I keep my projects to manageable for me and since I quilt for my own pleasure things are fine right now.

I bet the people that have been honored with a gift of one of your quilts SURE call you a quilter!!

I really feel growth when I can "read" a quilt! Understanding how it is put together when I look at it. I feel growth when I do not allow a non meeting seam to linger, but go back in and correct it. I feel growth when I do a quilt 2-3 three times trying different colorways, and on the third time I find ways to make the work easier. It is wonderful to feel growth. I am afraid when I know it all I will be bored!

I become a newbie every time I start a new quilt. I never know what lies ahead or how I'n going to do it! I have made mistakes that a newbie would catch in a second. But I keep on truckin'.

After you have made a quilt you are a quilter.
    Labels are never a good thing unless you are trying to get Federal Funding!

I guess I never thought about this before. I have been sewing since I was a child. I did some quilting for store displays but all from kits. After some life events I was given my sister-in-law's stash and began quilting in earnest. I considered myself new to quilting but I was an experienced "sewer". I think I passed from newbie to intermediate when I started reading the board posting and saying to myself, I know that and I do that or I know that, tried it and it did not work for me. No very scientific but that is how I defined my passage from newbie to intermediate.

Who needs the label in the long run. Quilt for the joy of it. There is no need to replicate what you see on the board unless you wish to choose to challenge yourself. Enjoy the beauty of the quilts of others and if a technique catches your interest, give it a try, ask questions here or of any quilting friends that you may have. It is not a contest, it is a journey. Some of use only go a little way from home on journeys but we love the trip. Others travel long distances and others just go to the far regions of the galaxy. What fun for us to have peeks of our member's travels!

Oh, for crying out loud! I've been quilting for 40 years and I am not going to do complicated blocks or any pattern with super small pieces. My motto is keep it simple and large because I like simple and large. People who want to do flying geese, etc. are wonderful and more power to them. But I don't think anybody is a legitimate "newbie" after the first quilt is finished unless you consider that we are all "newbies" bcause we are always learning something new.
    I hope you aren't one of those people who isn't happy unless they are feeling guilty over something! For example, I could be feeling guilty right now because I can't decide whether the verb that follows "who"in the last sentence should be singular or plural because I can't decide whether its subject is "one" or "people" or "who."If the subject is "people," is it a collective noun that takes a singular verb? Fiddlesticks! As Winston Churchill once said about dangling prepositions, "This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put." Same thing with whether you want to call yourself a "newbie." froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I first started quilting in 1992 and then started making rag dolls and sold them in quilt shops along with the patterns. I did that for years. Then I started doing other hobbies. About 3 years ago I got back into quilting and 2 years ago I quit my job and I quilt about 3-4 days a week. I have made over 20 quilts, but I've never made a Y seam (don't even want to try) and shy away from hard blocks. I still fumble over flying geese. I finally had to make them using the one seam method. I see all the beautiful quilts everyone makes here and some of the newbie ones and I still can't figure out if I am a newbie or not. I have a LOT to learn. I don't quilt my quilts. I take them to the LAQ. I applique a lot. I'm learning paper piecing now. I'm doing the free BOM at www.craftsy.com and have been able to make every block easily, but they are easy blocks, which is what I do. But when I look at all the pictures of everyone's quilts, I think I belong in the "newbie" section. So should I consider myself a newbie, which is fine by me because then I don't feel so guilty that I don't try advanced blocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast