Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When you do decide you are not a newbie?

Blog Entries
    I like to call myself a quiltmaker, not a quilter. I've been quilting since 1989. I love to make the tops, but I don't care much to do the quilting. I have hand-quilted a few of my larger ones, and I have machine quilted some, but I do not enjoy the process as much as the creativity and design of the tops. I also teach quiltmaking and sewing, but I don't teach the quilting phase. Right now I have a large quilt that has been in a bag waiting to be quilted since 2006. It is all pinbasted and ready, but I just haven't done it. And now the girl it is for is courting, and there probably will be a wedding next year. So I need to do something about it.

After you have made one quilt.....you are no longer a newbie.....you are hooked!!!!!
    I think most of us find a place in the quilting world where we are comfortable....if that is only doing a 9 patch, but doing it as perfect as humanly possible, that is a quilter.....or there are those who are looking for the next challenge, try it, decide if it is to be added to the list of accomplishments or not mention it again. I look at my quilting time as a time of reflection, relaxation and sense of accomplishment...if it ends up frustration and work, I want no part of it, that is what my quilting allows me to escape from....not just add to.........there, enough phsychology for today, back to quilting..........

Take yourself off the 'newbie' list.

Blog Entries
    I would worry more about "knowing it all", because then there is no more room for learning. Dee

You are definitely not a newbie! You could maybe classify yourself as "advanced beginner" if you want.
    I have been quilting for over 30 years and there are still patterns I wouldn't attempt...I would call myself an experienced quilter...but not a master quilter.

Really, as long as you enjoy the quilting you are doing there is no reason you need to give yourself a title...
    you are a quilter just like the rest of us that make quilts.

Blog Entries
    You are not a "newbie" when you can help a fellow quilter with any part of quilting.

Blog Entries
    Does it prove I am a newbie by telling you I dont even know what a Y seam is? I am also doing the Craftsy BOM and I did learn that I HATE paper piecing! I havent even finished the April blocks because I am hating it! However, I will move on and the point of doing it at all is because I shy away from stuff as well and am hoping to learn some new skills so I will advance past the standard square or HST stuff.
    Empress Mona (teeheehee)

Don't worry about labels! Do what you love and enjoy the process. Who cares if the blocks are easy! It's the end result that counts and some "easy" blocks look phenomenal when finished. So ready,get set, and GO do the things you enjoy.

I don't know about the label, "quilter". I just know when I was 4, my great grandmother set me up in the middle of her feather bed, gave me some scrap material and a needle and thread. She let me "sew" them together. I had fun and that's all that mattered then and that's all that matters to me now.

I think I will be a "newbie" forever. lol. I won't live long enough to be experienced enough to make quilts as beautiful as those shown on this board. But I am happy just doing the simple things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2