View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM
cathyvv

Jeanne, I sympathize with you, but I never lie to my DH about anything. There are times when he doesn't get information, but that is mostly because a) he doesn't REALLY want to know or b) knowing something would upset him and there is usually nothing he can do about whatever it is anyway. He understands that and trusts my judgement.

My guess is he would have been upset at any price you mentioned. But if this will show up on a credit card statement or a bank account, then you have no choice but to tell him. If it were me, I'd also tell him that I have worked hard for this money (leave out the 'my' word) and see no problem with spending up to $X - fill in the "X" with a number - occasionally.

If you're really hard up for money, that changes the discussion entirely. Then you have to agree on saving small amounts each week or month to pay for 'special' stuff, and each have your own little 'petty cash' stash to use.
I toss my change into a bank when I come home from shopping; it adds up quickly, and is used for when my grandkids visit. Over the course of a year I usually save from $125 to $150 for them to use while visiting.

Good luck with this dilemma.