Thread: Seam Rippers
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
DogHouseMom

I use the Clover pictured in Jan's post. It's the most comfortable fit I've found. I hate the rippers that come with sewing machines - the one with the cap. If you don't put the cap on the other end of the handle, the handle is too short to hold, and if you do put the cap on the handle it will eventually pop off in your hand while you're ripping. What a pain. The Clover is a good length and width and the business end is sharp and pointy enough to get stubborn small 60wt threads out. As much as you can "enjoy" a seam ripper - I like this one.

If I have to rip an extra long seam though - like a long border (I shudder to think about it again), I'll use a razor blade. (When I learned to sew as a kid my seam ripper WAS a razor blade). You hold the fabric in your left hand (if you are right handed) with one piece in between my first and second finger (each finger on either side), and the other piece of fabric held in between my thumb on one side pressed against my ring and little finger. I can then hold the two pieces of fabric separated and "pull" them apart while I slice through the stitches with my razor blade and "walk" my fingers down the fabric. I've even known people to hold one piece of fabric with their toes and the other with their left hand and razor blade down the fabric with their right hand.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 03:16 AM. Reason: language