View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Maride

It is something hard to explain, unless you are on the cutting side of the table yourself. I try as much as possible to give straight cuts and treat fabrics as if they were mine. But I also have to remember that it is retail, after all, and the owner needs profit to pay your salary. Sometimes the customer wants a straight cut, make sure the get the amount they want, folded straight, but I have to remember they are in their lunch break and in a rush. And so are the 2 or 3 customers behind her, who are already rolling their eyes, and talking among themselves how slow you are, not how careful you are. I also give everyone an inch or two extra on the cutting side, and they still complaint that on the start side is not perfectly straight, since I can not control how the previous person cuts or how bad the start of the bolt is.They don't see that I am making it up to them on the other side. And then there are those that ask for a yard but when they see the price change their mind and say that you cut more than they ask for. And the lady that has you move that ruler from the one yard to the half yard line 50 times, while the line now has 7 people and they are all rolling their eyes, except for the little old man who is here for the tenth time trying to buy the floor sample of the cute pillow for his granddaughter. And then she comes back asking how much is left in the bolt and after you measure the 7 yards left she only wanted one but just wanted to know if there will be enough fabric left in case she needs more six months from now. And re-rolling a bolt is not easy. Or she wants the 7 yards and you need to fold it tight enough to fit in the bag she has, because she doesn't want to carry an extra bag. So, this is a description of a few hours at a busy fabric store. Don't get frustrated with the cutting person. I know some are bitter and lazy, but not all. Many are just thinking that they would rather be shopping themselves, but after being on our feet for 8 hours, there is no energy left, and no matter how good the shoes are, the feet hurt and that gives you a grouchy mood, regardless of how nice you try to be. By the way, I did promised the little old man to make him a pillow for his granddaughter if he buys the materials, but he didn't want to spend on an exclusive fabric line. The kit was $20 and the pillow form $8, plus my work, it would have been the most expensive pillow ever, according to him.