Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel this way too?

Blog Entries

Do you feel this way too?

Have you ever bought fabric & the cutter mishandled it, didn't smooth it out & folded it crooked. When that happens it hurts my heart! How crazy is that ! I want my fabric cut with TLC!

Absolutely!!!

Yes, I just cringe and go home and take care of it!!!

Yes! What a waste of fabric.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Yes, makes me upset also especially when one is so careful with their treasured fabrics!
    Helen T.

Uhh, no. Life's too short to spend it upset, insulted and outraged over every tiny thing. Be happy you get to buy fabric!

Blog Entries
    I was at joanns and watched while two cutters tried to straighten bolt cuts someone else just hacked. Some of the repairs were 6 to 8 inches wide. I wanted o scoop all the scraps and run, but the really don't let you do that! Such a waste!

I don't understand why store managers don't teach cutters to cut right and see that they follow through. It cuts into the profit for the store to waste so much fabric.

You don't want to go to Paducah during quilt week if this bothers you. Regardless of the store (or tent) you are visiting, the fact is there are so many people and long lines (despite scores of cutters) that the bolts are not handled with TLC at all.

It doesn't bother me a bit as long as I get at least the yardage I purchased.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I bought some fabric from ebay and was I disappointed. The seller cut the fabric with scissors and cut like she was 5 years old. What a mess. I left it in the package. It wasn't folded correctly and there wasn't much I could do with it but maybe get a FQ out of a yard. Am very selective now. I've had excellent experiences with other ebayers.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I guess I've been lucky. The places where I get my fabric cut very straight and I have no complaints. I always get the amount that I paid for. The LQS cuts with a long ruler and a rotary cutter, that way you always get the amount that you asked for. I am so sorry to hear how many get crooked cuts.
    Sue

Most of my fabrics are cut right, only a few pieces at the most, I have bought many. many yards.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Uhh, no. Life's too short to spend it upset, insulted and outraged over every tiny thing. Be happy you get to buy fabric!
    Exactly! This is my new motto to live by!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    A lot, or the cut the piece shorter, i guess thats not measuring correctly, there so worried they are going to cut mor than they should, how sad for us, we never get our monies worth
    Mary

O always watch the cutter and if the fabric is folded I "help"her straighten it out or whatever the fabric needs. You're paying for it so let them get it right!

Blog Entries
    I have made them recut mine..that is a pet peeve of mine

Blog Entries
    It bothers me when they don't take the time to fold it neatly and I end up with a big lump of wrinkles.

Blog Entries
    I do too but not everyone feels the same way about it. For some it is just a job for others it is heaven!

If I actually find a fabric worth buying at JoAnns I tell the cutter not to bother folding it. It is going right in the wash. They do this work day in and out. I'm sure it can get monotonous. I will also fold my own fabric at these big box stores.
    peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 05-13-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

When I pay for a full yard I'd like a full yard. That said, I do try to pay attention to the cutter and correct her if she doesn't smooth the fabric out or looks as if she would cut wrong but if I find a miscut when I get home, that's life. If I don't pay attention or check my fabrics when I bring them home and that's on me. Due to a change of pattern yesterday I had to buy another yard of a fabric. Ouch, $13.49 with tax! I checked the cutter out and checked the fabric when I got home, at those prices I wouldn't want to waste my Stash Dollars on even an inch.

Blog Entries
    Yes! There have been times that I've straightened or pointed it out before it was cut, depends on the vibe I get from the clerk. But when I've got to have the correct measurement and cannot be shorted I tell them regardless of attitude or insulted feelings.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

It is something hard to explain, unless you are on the cutting side of the table yourself. I try as much as possible to give straight cuts and treat fabrics as if they were mine. But I also have to remember that it is retail, after all, and the owner needs profit to pay your salary. Sometimes the customer wants a straight cut, make sure the get the amount they want, folded straight, but I have to remember they are in their lunch break and in a rush. And so are the 2 or 3 customers behind her, who are already rolling their eyes, and talking among themselves how slow you are, not how careful you are. I also give everyone an inch or two extra on the cutting side, and they still complaint that on the start side is not perfectly straight, since I can not control how the previous person cuts or how bad the start of the bolt is.They don't see that I am making it up to them on the other side. And then there are those that ask for a yard but when they see the price change their mind and say that you cut more than they ask for. And the lady that has you move that ruler from the one yard to the half yard line 50 times, while the line now has 7 people and they are all rolling their eyes, except for the little old man who is here for the tenth time trying to buy the floor sample of the cute pillow for his granddaughter. And then she comes back asking how much is left in the bolt and after you measure the 7 yards left she only wanted one but just wanted to know if there will be enough fabric left in case she needs more six months from now. And re-rolling a bolt is not easy. Or she wants the 7 yards and you need to fold it tight enough to fit in the bag she has, because she doesn't want to carry an extra bag. So, this is a description of a few hours at a busy fabric store. Don't get frustrated with the cutting person. I know some are bitter and lazy, but not all. Many are just thinking that they would rather be shopping themselves, but after being on our feet for 8 hours, there is no energy left, and no matter how good the shoes are, the feet hurt and that gives you a grouchy mood, regardless of how nice you try to be. By the way, I did promised the little old man to make him a pillow for his granddaughter if he buys the materials, but he didn't want to spend on an exclusive fabric line. The kit was $20 and the pillow form $8, plus my work, it would have been the most expensive pillow ever, according to him.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...E26D3744C1.png

http://www.maria-quilted-treasures.com/index.html

Yes, and you have to make sure they have the fabric folded to where you are getting the full amount you asked for.
    Bless, O Lord, the works of my hands....

P. C.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    uuumm...NO....but I wash and iron and starch my fabric before cutting it..makes a difference I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by hairquilt View Post
    Have you ever bought fabric & the cutter mishandled it, didn't smooth it out & folded it crooked. When that happens it hurts my heart! How crazy is that ! I want my fabric cut with TLC!
    Have we had posts before about cutting fabric? I was in the local WalMart about 9 pm shopping for fabric. I needed it cut and the bell was there to ring for service. I rang. A man from the department across from fabrics came and said that his department was to help in fabrics when the regular gal wasn't there and that she had gone at 8 pm. He was from sporting goods. Said he didn't know how to cut fabric. He hadn't done that before. All he was familiar with cutting was the meat on his plate and wood. I told him how to fold it, how to measure it, etc, etc. Only thing I didn't do was put my hands on it. Best cut I have ever had at WalMart.

Yes !! I immediately refold it !!! Once it's it's cut it's mine !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast