Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you feel this way too?

I was at a Joann's that was closing a few years back. The staff working was hired for the inventory liquidation, not the regular employees at this shop and I was stocking up on fabric at dirt cheap. I had a stack of bolts & the gal that helped me was doing her best to cut well but it was clear she knew nothing about handling fabric. One of the bolts was panels and I had to stop her before she cut away into the panels, not between them. I showed her how to cut properly including that you have to cut each side separately with panels and not assume the sides were lined up. She seemed to appreciate the assitance & I got fabric for 10 cents on the dollar!
    Shannon

It is upsetting when you get poor cuts with the price of fabric. Explain that you have had problems in the past and ask that they are careful cutting yours.

I don't think my heart would hurt. I would watch and make sure they cut it right to start with, or I would'nt buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
    Exactly! This is my new motto to live by!
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    I am an employee in the fabric department of a medium size fabric/craft store. I treat each and every customer as I wish to be treated. I make sure the previous cut edges match up and if they don't then I start the measuring at the place where both cut side are even. I also add an additional one inch when I cut the fabric just incase! When it comes to panels, I pull out my Ofra Cutter, ruler, and pad. I open the fabric up and cut one layer of fabric at a time to make sure the customer gets exactly what they want. I also show the customer what 1 yard, 2 yards, 1/2 yards, etc looks like before I cut the fabric/ribbon/interfacing, etc. Many times the customers find out they don't need as much as they thought or they need more than they originally thought. After cutting, I always refolded the fabric neatly and the customers appreciate the extra care. I enjoy helping other quilters and non-quilter and as one customer said,"You must sew because you treat the fabric with respect".
    Ellie Bunt
    Concord, CA

Quote Originally Posted by hairquilt View Post
    Have you ever bought fabric & the cutter mishandled it, didn't smooth it out & folded it crooked. When that happens it hurts my heart! How crazy is that ! I want my fabric cut with TLC!
    I am so happy you brought up this topic. I went to JoAnn's today & I watched the clerk cut off a crooked 1" (at it's widest) pc. of the starting end of a bolt of fabric before measuring it. She apparently has been told to toss away that inch rather than give it to the customer. That really irks me.

Blog Entries
    I don't know if this is true acrossed the US but where I am from, Joanne's charges by the inch and they keep all the little scraps they cut off. A friend of mine told me they return the scrapes to the head office and the store gets credit for it. This sounds a little fishy to me but who knows for sure.
    Ellie Bunt
    Concord, CA

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I speak up when the cutter is aligning the fabric, and at times have refused to accept a piece that was cut so I'd get cheated out of my full useable length. It's one thing to not be too fussy, it's quite another to let yourself get cheated. That leaves you with a bad feeling about the retailer, and you are liable to badmouth them to your friends. Not good for anyone involved.

Generally I don't say anything but I do pick up the fabric and refold it - sometimes actions speak louder than words. Some cutters get it others don't. Truth is it's just a paycheck for many - they don't love fabric and don't realize we do.

They used to give the excess at no cost but the last time she told me the rules changed and they could not do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I am so happy you brought up this topic. I went to JoAnn's today & I watched the clerk cut off a crooked 1" (at it's widest) pc. of the starting end of a bolt of fabric before measuring it. She apparently has been told to toss away that inch rather than give it to the customer. That really irks me.
    :-)
    CAS

Quote Originally Posted by buntcake49 View Post
    I don't know if this is true acrossed the US but where I am from, Joanne's charges by the inch and they keep all the little scraps they cut off. A friend of mine told me they return the scrapes to the head office and the store gets credit for it. This sounds a little fishy to me but who knows for sure.
    Ellie, this apparently is true since I was told this same thing by a dept. manager at a Wal Mart when I questioned why they couldn't leave a crooked pc. about 3" on one end & less than 2" on the other. It didn't make sense to me either til I read that your friend says the same thing. They must recycle those scraps into something else they can sell. Just business I guess but not "customer" service.

Another thought is that it keeps the stores honest so they can't give away extra fabric. Hmmmm, now that's a thought that didn't occur to me til just this moment.

It is frustrating. That is why I don't like to buy fabric at JoAnn's. A lot of the people who work for them do not sew and they don't know how to cut fabric. It is frustrating to lose 4-6" from a length of fabric because it is cut crooked.

I help out occasionally at my LQS and I always make sure to cut very carefully, smooth the fabric and fold it with care. I try to handle the fabric as I would like to have my purchase handled. Tho I do understand how things can get backed up when there is a sale or shop hop.

I s'pose I've been fortunate.....never really had a problem. Mind you I am sure stress levels and a certain level of inexperience may make a store employees cutting skills a bit wonky. If I see they are a bit frazzled I try hard to offer a bit of help and tell them I'm in no rush...but not all customers afford them a bit of leeway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2