View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 AM
miss_ticky2

Hi...I'm not quite sure of the technique you are describing but I have read of a method I thought I'd like to try next time I make a large quilt.
You make your entire top and have your entire backing prepared as you normally would. Then you take your batting and cut it into approximate thirds and place one third down the middle of your quilt. You then quilt this section, which means you aren't trying to fit so much bulk under your machine as the sides don't yet have batting. Then, you take your next third of batting and butt that batting up to your previous batting that you've already quilted into your quilt. You can join it with a serpentine type stitch, or I believe there are tapes you can use. Then you continue with your quilting on this section. Then, attached your last third of batting to the other side and then finish quilting on that side.
This way you aren't trying to fit all that bulk under your machine as you can turn your quilt as you do your two side sections and only ever have the current third of batting under your machine (does that make sense?..hope so..lol).
I've also seen it recommended that, when you cut your batting into thirds, that you cut it with a wavy line so that when you butt and join it, you don't have a straight line of join and it will blend in better.
Maybe someone here has already tried this method and can comment further