View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Ps 150

Default My Microwaveable Corn Bag Caught Fire!!

I started by making the potato bag, but as I was finishing, I realized I was supposed to use 100% cotton thread and I hadn't. So, I called the LQS where I bought it and they suggested I try microwaving it to see if it would give me any problems. I did that and there were no problems. I then made the corn bag, with 100% cotton thread and handed it to DH so he could do the trial run while I relaxed a bit. We shouldn't have had to do a trial running with cotton thread, but I felt better about it. Suddenly, he started yelling from the kitchen and there was smoke everywhere. The bag had ignited in the microwave after 45 seconds, in two spots. DH yanked it from the microwave and threw it on the back deck where it ignited a third time.

I called the LQS this morning and they assured me that this never happens (even though the woman I had spoken to the previous day said that they had had complaints...hmmm). Either way, I'm taking the remaining fabric and batting pieces and the charred remains of the bag back to the LQS on Wednesday when both of the owners and the woman who puts kits together will be there. They think that perhaps the woman had mistakenly cut the batting strip from a bolt of Warm & Natural instead of the Potato Batting bolt.

Now, if the potato bag had burst into flames, I would have blamed myself for forgetting to use cotton thread, but I made the corn bag with all cotton components and it still erupted. My Gram and I have made rice bags for years with AP thread and have never had a problem like this, so I'm supposing that it has to be a batting problem. I'll know more on Wednesday when I go to the LQS, but I'm still a bit wary about trying to make another.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0544.jpg