Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Microwaveable Corn Bag Caught Fire!!

My Microwaveable Corn Bag Caught Fire!!

I started by making the potato bag, but as I was finishing, I realized I was supposed to use 100% cotton thread and I hadn't. So, I called the LQS where I bought it and they suggested I try microwaving it to see if it would give me any problems. I did that and there were no problems. I then made the corn bag, with 100% cotton thread and handed it to DH so he could do the trial run while I relaxed a bit. We shouldn't have had to do a trial running with cotton thread, but I felt better about it. Suddenly, he started yelling from the kitchen and there was smoke everywhere. The bag had ignited in the microwave after 45 seconds, in two spots. DH yanked it from the microwave and threw it on the back deck where it ignited a third time.

I called the LQS this morning and they assured me that this never happens (even though the woman I had spoken to the previous day said that they had had complaints...hmmm). Either way, I'm taking the remaining fabric and batting pieces and the charred remains of the bag back to the LQS on Wednesday when both of the owners and the woman who puts kits together will be there. They think that perhaps the woman had mistakenly cut the batting strip from a bolt of Warm & Natural instead of the Potato Batting bolt.

Now, if the potato bag had burst into flames, I would have blamed myself for forgetting to use cotton thread, but I made the corn bag with all cotton components and it still erupted. My Gram and I have made rice bags for years with AP thread and have never had a problem like this, so I'm supposing that it has to be a batting problem. I'll know more on Wednesday when I go to the LQS, but I'm still a bit wary about trying to make another.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

I am curious (and intelligence challenged, I guess).. but when you call it a "corn bag", do you mean to cook corn in?? I've not heard of using the bags for corn, but if you do, would you please share your cooking method? Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm curious what the LQS has to say. Glad the fire wasn't anymore serious.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    I am curious (and intelligence challenged, I guess).. but when you call it a "corn bag", do you mean to cook corn in?? I've not heard of using the bags for corn, but if you do, would you please share your cooking method? Thanks
    It's like a potato bag, but longer and it steams or cooks the corn, depending on whether the flap is up (cooking) or turned over the corn (steaming).
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

Very disturbing! I wonder how many people have been given the wrong batting. :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
    It's like a potato bag, but longer and it steams or cooks the corn, depending on whether the flap is up (cooking) or turned over the corn (steaming).
    Thank you for info--never knew you could do that. Corn season is almost here & I want to try that!

I have been nuking my corn naked (the corn, not me) and it seems to taste fine. I like that it is not dripping with water like if you boiled it.

The way we microwave cook corn is with the husks on. (No bags of any type.) Microwave for 3 minutes, then remove the husks with potholders, because the corn is very hot, especially inside. The corn tastes great, and the wet silks come off very easily. So fast and easy!

You're poor DH, bless his heart. At least you found this out very early in your project. It really would have been much worse to have done several sections and for this to have happened. So glad no one got hurt as well. Good luck at your LQS, they really should be more careful in what they are handing out in those kits.

I had this happen with my potato bag. After all had cooled, I examined it and think I found the tiniest bit of metal ( bit of needle or pin broken from sewing process??). I washed it and have used in numerous times since with no further excitement.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    my late MIL was making potato bags for years and years- way before the 'specialty' batting came to play.. Not once did any of hers burn up.. and I steam mine for 8-10 min.. I like big potatoes.. lol..

Did you use full power?? (Should never use full power- 80% max )
    some microwaves are higher watts than others, so check to see what yours is and lower the power setting accordingly..
    Was the bag wet?? (Mine is extremely damp, inside and out)

Im sorry you had an issue... Glad no one was hurt..

I'm not sure if you had any corn in the bag during the "trial run". If there was no corn in the bag and it was microwaved for any lenght of time ... there is a very good chance it would catch fire , just as if you put a match to it. The microwaves would have not had any "bulk" to disperse the wave and would have gotten the fabric/batting to the point of combustion.. just as if you ran the microwave with nothing in it ( which is never recommended).

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I have been nuking my corn naked (the corn, not me) and it seems to taste fine. I like that it is not dripping with water like if you boiled it.
    We clean each ear and individually wrap each in a piece of waxed paper to which a bit of salt and water have been added. Twist the ends closed and microwave on a plate, 2 minutes per ear. All the nutrition is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    Too funny!
    Linda

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Was there corn in the bag, or was it empty? these are not meant to be put in the microwave without something in it - like putting a pot on the burner, turned on high without anything in it, the pot will get too hot and can cause a fire.

That being said, I never husk my corn, just break off the stem at the bottom and pull off most of the silk sticking out the top, soak the ears for at least half an hour in the sink, then throw them on the grill, when the husks are dry and beginning to turn a light brown on the grill side, I turn them about 1/4 of the way, and keep turning as needed. They husk easily when done, the silk all comes off without a problem and they're wonderful. You can also cook them in the microwave after soaking them, on high for about 5 minutes. Oh, by not husking them when I get them at the store or farm stand, they seem to keep fresher longer. I want to grab everyone standing there furiously pullling off every bit of husk and silk in the store and tell them they'd have much better corn by doing it my way, but some people just like to boil the bejeebers out of stale corn. Probably the same folks who will eat canned spinach. Yuck!
    Last edited by MdmSew'n'Sew; 05-14-2012 at 05:23 AM.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Banned
    Blog Entries
    sadly this happens a lot...so many variables as to why too....first did you prewash your fabrics to remove the chemicals? Second, how high was the micro, and for how long, was there any moisture in the micro? The list goes on...

as with all things in the micro, use caution!

sew glad you clarified the "nuking naked" statement, however it did give me my best laugh of the morning! lol
    May you always be overwhelmed by the grace of God rather than by the cares of life!

Blog Entries
    I sometimes wrap a potato in a regular store bought potholder and cook in the microwave. I use the potato setting and it isn't full power. Never had a problem with fire and I doubt the potholder is all natural fiber. I know not to put any fabric in the microwave empty or dry.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by EvelynJ View Post
    You're poor DH, bless his heart. At least you found this out very early in your project. It really would have been much worse to have done several sections and for this to have happened. So glad no one got hurt as well. Good luck at your LQS, they really should be more careful in what they are handing out in those kits.
    Unfortunately, I had already finished the entire bag. Thankfully, though, it only took an hour to make.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    sadly this happens a lot...so many variables as to why too....first did you prewash your fabrics to remove the chemicals? Second, how high was the micro, and for how long, was there any moisture in the micro? The list goes on...

as with all things in the micro, use caution!
    Thanks. I did prewash and it was only in the microwave for 45 seconds when it combusted. I'm pretty sure it was on normal heat (100%), as was recommended by the LQS. I would think that if they're going to be selling these things, that they would have someone there who has had some experience in making them, cooking with them, and how to adjust your microwave.

I fail to see the attraction of using microwave bags to cook anything. Besides the inherent dange of fire, it is just another "thing" to wash and take care of. Naked potatoes and corn in husk work great.

Blog Entries
    So many variables come into play with this hard to say exactly what happened - but will be interested to see what the LQS says I have the special batting to make bags- just have to find the time
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I fail to find the attraction of cooking things in a fabric bag in the microwave. Call it the OCD safe side of me, but I wouldn't never attempt using one of these nor sell/give them to anyone. Glad there were no injuries.

I have had a couple of potato bags catch fire... I'm done with that... I cook mine naked too

We cook the corn with husk on. Then you take the corn out of the Microwave when cooked, cut the bottom end off (enough so at the kernels) and then hanging onto the tassel end, give it a good shake. The cob slips out the botton, clean as a whistle, no strings. And no mess. I didn't beieve it till I tried it-really works.
    Laurie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast