Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Microwaveable Corn Bag Caught Fire!!

scored potatoes or shucked corn wrapped in wet paper towels seems so much easier for me......damp paper towels to wipe your fingers with when you're done too........glad it didn't do damage to your kitchen!
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

Power Poster
    i dont use batting i use a piece of muslin and when i heat in microwave i do it 30 seconds intervals
    QUILTNMO

the same thing happened to me, i made 5 for gifts but when i tried mine out on potatoes it caught fire real quick. i know for sure it was the potatoe batting and all cotton but it was dry and full power, mybe i'll try again, damp and lower power, now i'm just using them for hot pads!

This has happened a lot. I made the bags with warm & natural at first & used all cotton. I took to local fire dept to have them chk, of coures nothing happened but a friend had one catch on fire but she had it on in for 10 min or so. I wondered if there was a sop of grease too. Just don't know but they do catch on fire.

glad that the fire wasn't worse than that, you are lucky
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I am constantly amazed at what I learn from this board!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I have been nuking my corn naked (the corn, not me) and it seems to taste fine. I like that it is not dripping with water like if you boiled it.
    This is how we cook our corn on the cob, too. Easy peasey!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Food in the bag or bowl in a microwave is essential. DD once put a plate in my micro to warm it for her dinner and POW! New microwave purchased next day.

Looks like everythings catching fire these days!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    I am curious (and intelligence challenged, I guess).. but when you call it a "corn bag", do you mean to cook corn in?? I've not heard of using the bags for corn, but if you do, would you please share your cooking method? Thanks
    I find the most wonderful way to cook corn on the cob in the microwave is to just leave it in the husk and cook it on high for 8 minutes per large ear. Then remove from oven and cut off the stem end and slip out the corn....no shucking or scrubbing. They are clean.

I've heard of fires with the potato bags but they were always using something other than 100% cotton batting.

I had a potato bag that someone made with poly batting and never had a problem, used it for years until it finally wore out. Last year a friend made potato (and corn bags) with 100% cotton and within a few uses the potato bag caught fire. I'm back to using paper towel to wrap my potatoes. Apparently 100% cotton is no guarantee!

Call me "old fashioned" but I actually steam my corn in a large pot with a tight lid. Doesn't drip water like boiled corn does because it doesn't use a lot of water and tastes just as good. Baked potatoes? Wash them, pierce them and put them in micro "naked". If I am using my oven, I bake them along with the roast, etc. Sometimes for oven baked spuds, I will wrap them in foil, but most times I just leave them alone and bake them on the racks. You can also make baked potatoes and corn on the BBQ grill, just don't put them over the flame or hot side. Leave husks on corn and either wrap potatoes in foil or not. Place over indirect heat (cooler side of grill). Just writing about corn and spuds is making me hungry!

Glad to hear you were not injured and your micro was not damaged.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I had this happen to me, I used all cotton & the special potato bag cotton batting. Very frigthening, plus I had made several for presents which, of course, I did not give out. I suspect something isn't right with the branded potato bag batting because years ago I made the potato bags using 100% cotton warm & natural & there were no problems or fires.
    That experience has me sworn off using anything like that in the mircrowave, never again.
    Maire

You have to use feed corn. I have been using corn bags for years to keep my feet warm at night. The last bag I made, which I used for about three years, before the corn decided that enough was enough and it burnt. But it did not catch fire. I do not use any batting in my bags. Cut your fabric about 9 or 10" sq and put 6 cups of feed corn it, sew it up and you're ready to go. I put my on for 2 minutes on high. First bag was gift and I love it.

This happened to me also a couple years' ago. I bought it from a craft show. I decided it's not worth the risk of trying it again. Besides, I didn't think it came out any better than when I bake it on a paper towel.

Blog Entries
    I've used my potato bag for at least 2 years now without any problems. I used 100% cotton along with Warm and Natural. I'm wondering if the LQS might have used Warm & White which is part polyester.

I know it's scary to have a cute project turns bad.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Now I'm confused. I thought Warm & Natural was all cotton. I just made sev. microwave bowls using it & have taught sev. other people how to make them using W&N, too.

I am worried now though so I just ck'd the thread I used & it's Coats & Clark which I've used for yrs. but now I see it's polyester covered polyester.

I now use the threads from Connecting Threads.

Blog Entries
    WHOE.....That sounded scarely. Glad nothing worse happened. What did was bad enough, and surely could have been worse.

Certainly gives us out here something to think on, when considering doing that.

Glad you are all okay.

Vickey S.

Oh my that is frightening. I was considering making those for my grandsons' teachers for end of school gifts but now I think I will find something else. That could have been a real tragedy! Also thanks ptquilts for the laugh, I can imagine someone standing naked in front of the microwave cooking corn!

Question

I thought warm and natural was all cotton, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by vickiehornback View Post
    I thought warm and natural was all cotton, isn't it?
    Not all of them, they have a version that is 80/20.

I've never used those microwave bags, I tend to throw my potato and corn in naked.

I like your idea. How many corns do you do at once?

Blog Entries
    Hard school of knocks, it is so crazy. The more we have to work with the more we can overlook things.
    I can make a mess out of anything I think. Glad your ok, and microwave ok

cooking corn on the cob

Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
    I started by making the potato bag, but as I was finishing, I realized I was supposed to use 100% cotton thread and I hadn't. So, I called the LQS where I bought it and they suggested I try microwaving it to see if it would give me any problems. I did that and there were no problems. I then made the corn bag, with 100% cotton thread and handed it to DH so he could do the trial run while I relaxed a bit. We shouldn't have had to do a trial running with cotton thread, but I felt better about it. Suddenly, he started yelling from the kitchen and there was smoke everywhere. The bag had ignited in the microwave after 45 seconds, in two spots. DH yanked it from the microwave and threw it on the back deck where it ignited a third time.

I called the LQS this morning and they assured me that this never happens (even though the woman I had spoken to the previous day said that they had had complaints...hmmm). Either way, I'm taking the remaining fabric and batting pieces and the charred remains of the bag back to the LQS on Wednesday when both of the owners and the woman who puts kits together will be there. They think that perhaps the woman had mistakenly cut the batting strip from a bolt of Warm & Natural instead of the Potato Batting bolt.

Now, if the potato bag had burst into flames, I would have blamed myself for forgetting to use cotton thread, but I made the corn bag with all cotton components and it still erupted. My Gram and I have made rice bags for years with AP thread and have never had a problem like this, so I'm supposing that it has to be a batting problem. I'll know more on Wednesday when I go to the LQS, but I'm still a bit wary about trying to make another.
    if you want to make good corn on the cob wrap it in wax paper you do not have to remove the husk . Put it in the micro wave for 5 minutes for each ear, enjoy

Ha Ha Ha. I burst out laughing out loud - thanks!!!! I needed that !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I have been nuking my corn naked (the corn, not me) and it seems to taste fine. I like that it is not dripping with water like if you boiled it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast