View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 AM
clsurz

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Actually, the traditional garage sale price for anything in good shape is 10 cents on the dollar of current retail. This has been the case for generations (remember "Second Hand Rose"?).
Perhaps in the 19th and 20th century it was like that in some places but certainly does not hold true in the 21st century. I have held hundreds of yard sales over the last 40 years and in various parts of the country and have never sold anything for 10 cents on the dollar.

Around here you will be lucky to find anything at yard/garage sales or flea markets that isn't closer to be at 50% retail.

Before I sold anything in a yard/garage sale or flea market for ten cents on the dollar I'd donate it to charitable organizations.

I haven't held any yard sales in last decade because our city now has an ordinace that you can't hold them but twice a year and must get a permit to do so. If you get caught doing so without a permit or more than twice a year you will get a ticket and pay a fine. It's just not worth it anymore.