Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 AM
J Miller

Default I'm laughing, snickering, and guffawing ....

I'm laughing, snickering, and guffawing .... because my Alden will make better top stitches than my wife's Bernina Record 930. LOL

She's making shopping bags from denim, using cut up jeans. She puts pockets on the outside then sews on some decorative top stitches around the edge.
So this morning she's complaining because the Bernina is having trouble with the thread. She's using Coats & Clark Dual Duty Plus Jeans Topstitch thread. I noticed that stuff is about twice as thick as the C&C Heavy thread and the top tension kinda wasn't good. The stitches are sitting on top of the material and the pattern isn't formed quite right.
We popped the top off the machine and took a look see inside, nothing amiss that we could see.

So being myself I grabbed one of the spools of thread she was using, put it on the Alden and without touching any of the tensions I started doing decorative stitches. Oh they came out sooooo purtyyyy . Whoo Hoo!

Well, I did do one thing different: I used a size 18 needle where as she had a 16 in the Bernina.
I'm pretty sure that had something to do with it as this top stitch thread is way thicker than normal.

We'll try a size 18 needle in the Bernina and see what happens. If it doesn't help, I think that machine just might be getting a bit finicky. Maybe time for a good cleaning and oiling. Hmmmm, where's my jug of Tri-Flow?????

Joe