View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 05:53 AM
nannya54

Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure that DH moistened the bag or not. He doesn't seem to remember. I know our potato bag was dry when I tested it and it came out of the microwave after 5 minutes, absolutely fine. Perhaps we just got lucky.
I've made and sold hundreds of potato/corn bags and only 2 caught on fire. One person left the safety pin on it that held the instructions and the other hadn't been washed after making sweet potatoes (the juice is very volatile) in it. That's not the bags fault in either case. The food to be cooked has to be damp and you have to put a wet paper towel around the item. It's that moisture that not only cooks the food so lovely, it's the moisture that stops anything from burning. Put dry food in the oven, it will burn. Put dry food in a skillet or sauce pan, it will burn. Cooking needs moisture. Dry cotton will burn. You made your bag just fine with all cotton materials. Try it again and actually cook something with a damp, or just plain wet, paper towel wrapped around it and you'll end up liking it more than the ol' oven method or boiled method.