Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
NanaCsews2

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I am confused? What exactly makes an Amish quilt worth more than one made by anyone else? Do you think they hand piece them?....they use treadle machines. Does a quilt that is handquilted have more value than one that has been beautifully and intricately machine quilted? Does a quilt that my great-grandmother made have less value than one made by the Amish? I live in the midst of the Amish and while I think that their way of life is very uncomplicated, I don't value their quilts over any other.
We watched a show awhile ago where there was a sewing machine set up. Looked all electrical to us. But may have been generator powered. Not sure if all quilts are sewn on treadles.
Here is one interesting site that answers a lot of questions: http://www.amishquilter.com/interest...mish-quilters/
Me, I would purchase an Amish quilt because of the history of their culture tied to it. They also shop in our stores and do support our communities with their hard-earned money just like the rest of us do, (they do pay taxes, except SS), so we don't hesitate to purchase the flowers, vegetables, and furniture from them. We have bought some of the most beautiful flower containers for very little from the Amish.