Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a question about buying an Amish quilt. >

I have a question about buying an Amish quilt.

I have a question about buying an Amish quilt.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I attend the Amish auction at Cannelburg, IN every year. There are approximately 150-200 Amish made and quilted quilts auctioned off. I have bought two there-one I paid $450 for and the other $550. Both were queen size.
Then, four years ago, I found an Amish lady in Topeka, IN to make a quilt for my new King size bed. She made the quilt and two king sized pillow shams for $500. I selected and paid for the fabric ahead of time. Then, I bought another Amish pieced and quilted queen size quilt at an Amish owned quilt shop in the Shipshewana area for $700. I treasure all of them and probably will not buy anymore. They are SO well made and beautifully quilted. I consider them a treasure, but probably no one else would. They're just gorgeous.
Karen, I didn't make it to last year's auction, but I've already got the first Sat. in September marked to go again this year. Wave when you get there.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:49 AM

I agree with candace and crafty pat, buy a quilt because you like it and want to use it to keep you warm. The amish community where I live make beautiful quilts and the hand quilting is phenomenal. So look at the quilts before you bid and choose one that says " I need to go home with you". Good luck!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:50 PM

There are Amish-made quilts for sale close here. I've seen them offered for over 40 years. Most are made to be sold and are designed with the purchaser in mind. (There are two fabric stores, one owned by an Amish woman and adjacent to her home.) Only once did I see a collection-worthy quilt. It was a fine woolen diamond-in-square in black and deep red with exquisite tiny quilting. I didn't have the money to buy it even though the price was very reasonable but I knew it was good and not newly made. I inquired about the origin.....it was an old quilt sent to the shop from out of state because the family had medical bills to pay and needed the money from the sale. It was classic and genuine Amish, made for home use and that is the only one I've seen worthy of investing in.