Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Neesie

Guess I should add my current WIP. I started this quilt for my DGD, before we moved (about 3 years ago). It was to be a QUICK AND SIMPLE quilt . . . just something for her to call her own. The top is just two fabrics (patterned pink and purple w/hearts and solid purple), alternating blocks. Was planning to just attach a blanket backing, do some top stitching, and let that be it. Well, we moved (greatly downsized) and I had no room, for finishing anything. We eventually expanded our space a bit and I had room to spread out. Basted the top to the blanket but my sewing machine was still in a corner, so waited. In the meantime, decided to stitch heart outlines (in solid blocks, to attach the two layers). Marked the hearts. Now I have a sewing room (finished shed) and have all my stuff set up . . . and decided to applique some hearts instead, for the solid squares. Luckily, Hobby Lobby still carries the original fabrics, so no problem there . . . other than WAY underestimating the fabric, I'd need. Trip to HL for more fabric. Also had to make another trip for more iron-on interfacing, for the silly hearts (ran out, after heart #57 of 58) . . . then made extra hearts, just in case. Got the stupid hearts stitched and turned . . . and decided I didn't like them. The edges are too thick and the solid fabric is lightweight. Whined about it, posted about my woes, got needed encouragement from you wonderful folks. Decided I'd just go back to original plan of simply stitching hearts. Yesterday, after more encouragement, decided the applique would be so much nicer, so decided to "paper turn" on Heat N Bond. Have done that before, so no problem. Why didn't I think of it sooner? MUCH sooner??? So yesterday evening, I traced and cut out 60 HnB hearts. In a short while, I'll start ironing them onto fabric and carefully turning the daggum edges, then remove the backing and VERY carefully fuse the edges to the edge of the HnB. Oh . . . and while cutting out the blasted hearts, I decided the top really needs a border . . . so I'll see if I have enough fabric for one. If not . . . . Will deal with that, if and when.

Almost forgot - after turning the first hearts, the bottom points weren't turning well (too narrow), so I went back and re-sewed the bottoms. Was starting to re-turned them, when I decided not to use them.

I am soooooooooo tired of hearts!!!

Last edited by Neesie; 05-24-2012 at 07:40 AM.