Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt?

I have made soooo many mistakes that I can't really define one exactly, but I remember cutting out 8" squares for the background for my applique Snowmen. After I cut 36 squares out, I reread the instructions and realized they were suppose to be 9". The Snowmen had very many pieces to each one and I had the hardest time making each piece small enough to look right on the smaller block. It made the entire quilt a nightmare. I had to try all different sizes for each piece of the snowman and the trees and birds and fence and house in each block. I know to read the instructions twice and cut once, but I had to learn the hard way. What was your biggest mistake?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I once did a paper pieced block with all the seams on the front side of the fabrics. Otherwise, it was perfect. The only one I ever tried that was "perfect". And the last one I ever tried.

I was about to do a hand quilting job on a large Texas Star with muslin background. I ironed the top and was horrified when rusty water came out and left a stain on the muslin. Fortunately the customer (who owned a quilt shop) had more and I was able to replace the piece.

I did only DRY ironing for about 20 years after that!!

Cutting 5 inch squares and ending up with a rectangle. I had a 8 1/2 inch square ruler and had turned it the wrong way.

Blog Entries
    I always make more then one mistake on any quilt I make. That's a given for me. It doesn't bother me anymore.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I have a foot with a guide, but I have to move the needle to get the magic 1/4". I once chain pieced about a hundred HSTs and then found that I had forgotten to move the needle. They were cut too small to retrim and the blocks were partially done. I had enough fabric to cut more then used the problem ones in the border.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    My biggest mistage was having one block sidewards when I sewed the quilt together. I sandwiched it, top quilted it, and bound it, never seeing the mistake. My 6 year grand daughter (the quilt recipient) saw it. Old eyes!!
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    My worst mistake was adding the wrong green fabric to a quilt. It was for a Charity project and I didn't notice it until it was finished. I felt bad that I picked up the wrong green fabric, but what could I do?
    Quilted Hugs from me to you!! Check out my Blog!!
    http://www.lisasquiltgarden.blogspot.com/

Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

I made all the blocks for a Buzz Saw quilt from flannel and then I realized that I had sewn each and every one of them together wrong. I picked each quilt block apart with a seam ripper and then put them back together. I saved every scrap of thread that I pulled out and put them in a jar. I put a label on the jar to remind me to read the instructions and I keep that jar right next my sewing machine!

Colleen

My roommate and I pinned one together, then realized she'd forgotten to add the border. We unpinned it, added the border, then added more backing material, as we'd measured the back based on what we thought was the finished top. I totally pinned one and realized when I got to the edge that it wasn't centered. We unpinned that one, too.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    My biggest mistage was having one block sidewards when I sewed the quilt together. I sandwiched it, top quilted it, and bound it, never seeing the mistake. My 6 year grand daughter (the quilt recipient) saw it. Old eyes!!
    There's a queen-sized quilt on my uncle's bed with one of the blocks in backwards. I didn't notice it until he showed it to me on his bed. He loves the quilt and I didn't mention the mistake. It was far too late to fix.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......
    Too funny LOL!!!!

I don't make mistakes...I gain experience.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    There are no mistakes, just design opportunities. I have had more design opportunies than I can remember.

My worst (and most recent) was cutting panels wrong. Not just one panel wrong ... but two. Had to buy more panels

My other big mistake wasn't so much a mistake as it was ignorance of what could, and could not be done - it was my very first quilt so that's the excuse I'm going with I attempted (note that word) to "quilt" the quilt with metallic thread using machine embroidery stitches ... without the benefit of a walking foot or a metallic needle. Yes, there is a reason that one is STILL a UFO after several years.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I don't make mistakes...I gain experience.
    Ditto ... It's truly Learn to Do by Doing!!!

I think Winston Churchill said it best ...

"All (wo)men make mistakes, but only wise (wo)men learn from their mistakes."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't iron carefully and don't iron immediately. I also get sloppy about trimming loose threads. Which I spent the morning doing!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
    I made all the blocks for a Buzz Saw quilt from flannel and then I realized that I had sewn each and every one of them together wrong. I picked each quilt block apart with a seam ripper and then put them back together. I saved every scrap of thread that I pulled out and put them in a jar. I put a label on the jar to remind me to read the instructions and I keep that jar right next my sewing machine!

Colleen
    Hummmmmmmmmmm, might be a lesson and reminder for all of us!
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
    Cutting 5 inch squares and ending up with a rectangle. I had a 8 1/2 inch square ruler and had turned it the wrong way.

I had marked a big square ruler with painter's tape to show me a 5 1/2 in. square. One long piece of blue tape all the way across and one blue tape up and down all the way. Later when I tried to sew pieces together, some were smaller than other. It was a 12 inch ruler and I'd left a square space a bit under 5" on the dead end of the ruler. NOW, I mark an X or something in spaces I'm not using.
    U N T I E

You name it, I've done it. Biggest complaint - not enough fabric and buy the time you discover that you don't have enough fabric, either the store is out of it or the dye lot has changed.

Blog Entries
    I am so glad you didn't ask "how many" mistakes I have made. LOL

I think my BIGGEST mistake was a few years ago at retreat. Decided to do a Minnesota Hot Dish pattern (easy), had all my fabric cut and even made a sample block. All set to do the 80 blocks. Sewing away, doing 40 blocks, chain piecing at a time. Was about the third round, ready for the fourth round. oh, %$*&)**($ All 40 of the third round is on the wrong side and will make a differences of the layout of the quilt ..... spend a lot of time unsewing...
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

I think the one I regretted the most was rushing the laundering of a very large wedding Queen quilt for my daughter. I washed it once and then tossed it in the dryer. All the quilting lines had not washed out yet so I set them in the dryer. She is fine with it and loves th quilt. I hope that over time they will dissapear.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    LOL - been there!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I made a Lone Star but apparently I had turned the bits the wrong way so my star radiates into the point (which is kind of cool) but I really mucked up the angles. Working with all those bias pieces was not a good idea for a total beginner. One of these days I will pull it out and fix it.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast