Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest quilting project you've ever done

What is the biggest quilting project you've done?

Big in the literal sense? Insanely expensive? Very complicated? Or perhaps a combination of all three? Interpret the question however you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    What is the biggest quilting project you've done?

Big in the literal sense? Insanely expensive? Very complicated? Or perhaps a combination of all three? Interpret the question however you like.
    I have just been asked by a friend to make a king size quilt for her bed!! This may be a premature answer to your question :-D :-D It will be the biggest quilting project I will have done.

The biggest I've made so far is 96 x 114. It was a wedding gift for my nephew and it cost quite a bit to make also. Plus the fact it was time consuming: one block took 4 hours to make and there were 42 blocks.

The biggest quilt I have done so far is a trip around the world quilt. It is about 72 inches square. It was a little difficult to quilt under my machine but, I got it done.

My next challenging quilt will be one that I ordered from connecting threads. It is called "Yuletide Snowflake". It is 82 inches square. Requires applique, still a pretty new thing for me-I don't know how to do it correctly yet-without using steam a seam, and it requires cutting the pieces on a 45 degree angle (i'm nervous about that part-don't want to mess up. But, I love the pattern. I will start it sometime after Christmas.

Working on a queen sized right now.

Blog Entries
    My largest project so far was a 124" x 136" quilt for my grand-niece' wedding present. At the quilt shop I am now know as "Omar the Tent Maker."

The biggest in expence was the all silk quilt I made. I love it though, so it was worth it to me.

56 blocks, 14" each, 98"X112". I don't know the total cost, nor do I really want to know.

One of these days it will be a "lap quilt" for my husband!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamawcj
    My largest project so far was a 124" x 136" quilt for my grand-niece' wedding present. At the quilt shop I am now know as "Omar the Tent Maker."
    I can't even imagine making one this big...

My biggest project now is a queen size with batiks. Not because of the size, but because I was stupid enough to listen to other people saying, "Wouldn't this fabric be pretty?" NOT!!! They are too dark for my taste and not enough contrast for my taste. It is definitely one that I won't keep, and it is taking me forever because I don't want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamawcj
    These are the kinds of quilts I love, the bigger the better, and YES I will crawl up in one this size ALONE and be the happiest girl in the world!

Mine would be the Kittie t-shirt quilt. Not even out of the supply gathering process. I have spent a good $170 so far and is going to be about 80x80 so it wins the title of being the most expensive AND the biggest quilt worked on thus far. Its even bigger than the Zelda sea map wall hanging I have planned, which is colossal being that it will be a wall hanging. Was making it as a Christmas present for a boyfriend, but we ended up breaking up. Luckily I love Kittie (more than he ever will) and my new boyfriend likes Kittie and other metal music so its not a total loss. Except I don't have a deadline on it now.

Blog Entries
    22 yrs ago, a marinars compass that was 28" sq and cost me $60 dollars.
    when i was about 20 a quilt for the beach i made from shirt sceraps 140" x140"

My biggest was a king size - made of microfiber with fleece as the batting. It was 18" (or 12") can't remember and I made it all on my dinky Brother machine. I stitched in the ditch and it all sounds so simple, but, it was my second quilt and I really didn't know what I was in for with that stretchy microfiber. I also set the blocks on point, so that added to the challenge. It was "fun" dragging it through the machine to quilt. It felt ginormous. I guess it was. Now my son tells me it is "too heavy" and he needs a lighter weight one. Oy. (PS -and it wasn't cheap either. Even with a big JoAnn coupon it cost almost $200)

Blog Entries
    My 1st quilt was a K size,as was maybe 4 others & one yet to be sent to the LA quilter.
    Maybe that's why I'm not into bed size quilts anymore.
    I prob had the most money in a Q size quilt with pillow shams,3 toss pillows & a framed block to match for DD.Chocolate brown & white....her choice
    It's not the fabric that gets me, it's the price of my machines & all the books/patterns & notions. Whew....don't even want to know :-) :-)

A Grandma's Garden queen size quilt, that I hand pieced, and machine quilted, that seemed to take forever years to complete. :D

I have made two king size quilts, the total for both of them are well ove $750.00.
    JulieM

King size quilt. 2" squares all indididually cut.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    I have made two king size quilts, the total for both of them are well ove $750.00.
    JulieM
    I'm curious as to what kind of quilts you made. Cause that's a lot of dollars.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Probably the album anniversary quilt for my parents. It's completely hand-quilted but machine pieced. They were thrilled and I loved doing all that quilting for my Mom and Dad :) It was a labor of love that I would only do for them or my kids.
    The most expensive was a Jinny Beyer 12 month quilt class and all her fabric. Yikes! And I'm not even done. I really love it though. Probably will machine quilt it or have someone else long arm it. Still not done spending on that one lol

I made and 118 inch square Rocky Road to California fo my DSIL when he graduated from the Air Force Acadameny. I hand quilted it. Took me four months. DD and SIL kept telling me how cold it was in Davis, CA before I got it finished. I have no idea what the cost was.

A kimono quilt for a very dear Japanese friend of mine for last Christmas, who unfortunately didn't live enough to enough it much. It was all paper pieced, 132"x122", and took 9 months to finish it.

Blog Entries
    That sounds beautiful! Would love to see it.I have a small collection of Far East fabrics, but haven't decided what to make.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    A kimono quilt for a very dear Japanese friend of mine for last Christmas, who unfortunately didn't live enough to enough it much. It was all paper pieced, 132"x122", and took 9 months to finish it.

I have made 2 king size quilts - both the bear paw pattern. I sent one to be done on a long arm and I quilted the other one on my li'l ol' Pfaff. I will never do that again! The long arm will do any of mine bigger than a twin from now on!

made a reproduction of an antique quilt, Tumbling Blocks Pyramid, all solids, for a customer who saw it in a book. 27 different solid colors. Hand quilted. I think it came out to $700. We delivered it to him and he paid CASH off a huge wad of bills from his pocket.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast