Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Biggest quilting project you've ever done >

Biggest quilting project you've ever done

Biggest quilting project you've ever done

Old 11-15-2010, 05:17 PM

The current quilt top I just finished is 87"x 104", it just kinda grew. lol
Its a Double Sawtooth Star in mostly woven plaids and shirting prints, it will be for my son,Steve. He said he wanted a manly quilt. I think it qualifies. :-D
Sharon W.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127039.jpe  
Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Mine is a 90" square quilt I have made, entirely as a surprise, for my hubby for our 10th wedding anniversary which is in less than 4 weeks. I'm still quilting it, but on schedule to be finished by DDay!! I hope to have the quilting done by next weekend, so I can take a week and a half to finish the borders and then the rest of the time to get the binding on.

It has it's own thread. It's the biggest physically. It's also the most expensive. It's the first time I've used 108" backing and it's flannel. All other good cottons. I couldn't get bamboo batting like I wanted in that size, but it's warm and natural, so add that cost.

It's also the most time consuming. I make one big project each year and this one has taken the whole year. I made a few blocks each month, the top this summer, it was basted in July, but I seriously cut my quilting finger, so I couldn't get started on it until August. I've been quilting it 3 months straight and it will be 4 months when it's all said and done.

Here is the link to it. Keep in mind that Hubby has been in the house when every cut and stitch was made, in the house and helped me press it and get it ready to take to the church to baste. He was with me when I bought the quilting frame and has been sitting in his easy chair when I've been on the couch every night quilting it. He still has NO CLUE that it's for him. I put blocks in it like Ball and Chain and Contrary Wife. I've rattled all the blocks off for company because they all know it's for him and he is still absolutely CLUELESS!!! I love it!

Scroll through the thread for the blocks, but the final top pics are on page 3.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36285-1.htm
Old 11-15-2010, 05:35 PM

Mine would be the king size one that I just finished the top. Technically it is my most expensive since it is what finally made me decide to buy a long arm machine. The queens that I quilted were enough of a struggle in a regular machine I wasn't going to attampt a king. And since I have become a quilting addict I figured I might as well take the plunge. I am supposed to get my machine tomorrow!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

It was a quilt made for my mom by me using my grandmother's linen as part of the quilt. I call it the 3-generation quilt. It is made from a gazillion circles that are sewn into squares. It's pretty but heavy and provided quite the challenge.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127051.jpe  
Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM

My very first one! I chose the Ohio Star which has 21 pieces in each block and made a quilt with 20 blocks all by hand!!! While I was working on it, a friend very innocently asked me,"Why did you choose a block with so many pieces?"
As a beginner, I hadn't thought of the number of pieces. It took a long, long time, but I did finish it.Whew! I get tired just thinking about it.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 PM

My biggest, scariest challenge as a quiltmaker was a king size quilt commissioned by a gentleman who wanted me to use his 18 pairs of Wrangler jeans, a navy sportcoat, a tan Carhart barn coat & a red corduroy shirt (all well worn) as the focus of his quilt. It was so heavy his wife & I together couldn't lift it into her car. When I asked her later if they were using it she said they had to take it off the bed because they couldn't move when they were under it.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 PM

I am doing the Civil War Tribute BOM, this has to be my most expensive and challenging. You have to sew a seam 1/2 way then when the block is nearly finished, you have to go back and finish that seam last. Oh, it can be very confusing!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm currently hand quilting a 110 x 110 quilt--i quilt on my lap so I can only work on it during the winter months. this will be my second winter and I hope to finish it this year. will post pics when finished
Old 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Biggest was a wedding gift of a queen size. Took a long time to do the top with all the pieces, but I did it on the machine. Too big for me to quilt so I had someone else do it.
With my grandmother gone, I'm trying to keep up the wedding gift quilt. Have another in the works now -- they want frogs.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 PM

I have hand quilted 5 king sized quilts! my first three I did all at the same time, nine patch scrappy, one for each of the men in my family, my female family helped with the quilting.
my fourth was a "star" quilt, made for MY wedding. full of 60degree angles that I drew with a pencil and protactor, then cut with scissors! I hand quilted this by myself on a large scroll type frame, I stitched every sun sign and planetary symbol in to it!!!
my latest was last year, another wedding quilt. I was on bed rest and quilted the entire thing on a 12" qsnap frame!

!!! I cant wait to do more !!!