Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Biggest quilting project you've ever done >

Biggest quilting project you've ever done

Biggest quilting project you've ever done

Old 11-15-2010, 11:49 AM

The biggest and most expensive was a quilt for my daughter when she got married 11 years ago. It was queen size with just plain blocks but every other block had pictures on them. I started from the outside and used pictures of when they were babies and ended up with their engagement picture in the middle. It cost about $600.00, which I guess isn't much compared to what I have heard here but it was a lot of money plus the wedding. I also did one for a friend who's husband died and it ran even more because the picture squares were much higher that time. Both people loved them though so the cost was a mute point.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 PM

King size Teip around the woeld... took me forever to hand quilt it !!!!!!! But it was beautiful...
Old 11-15-2010, 01:10 PM

I made a king size 112 X 120 and designed the pattern myself. We are moving from southern heat to cooler mountains and could not find a pattern with bears, moose, deer, etc so came up with my own idea. I machine quilted it with the meandering method at our local quilt shop where they rent time on the machine based on the size of the quilt. Good thing I didn't go bigger, it maxed out the frame!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 PM

This one is easy, Rob's Mariner's compass that I posted pictures of a few months ago. Got the center done and then didn't know what to do next so rolled it up and put it away, thinking I would get an idea. Didn't happen for a few years. But thank God it is done and out of my house!!!!! Jan
Old 11-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
What is the biggest quilting project you've done?

Big in the literal sense? Insanely expensive? Very complicated? Or perhaps a combination of all three? Interpret the question however you like.
My second project ever was a "Storm at Sea" queen quilt using Fairy Frost fabric. It took 2-1/2 yrs.. No paper piecing -- all hand cut and sewed together individualy. For a newbie it was a challenge and since one of the fabrics was a new color it tended to be expensive. Long before I finished I decided on the backing and the new color fabric was discontinued -- less than a year after I started -- don't know for sure but I think it was because of a problem with producing the fabric. I found there were problems with mine early on.

Anyway, it has come out really great -- most points and corners were great. I was able to find enough of the discontinued backing I chose that was okay without problems. It was expensive and very trying and time consuming but a very great lesson. It was a learning opportunity for me. I've come to love intricate smaller patterns. I love challenges.

100_0497.jpg
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127023[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127018.jpe  
Old 11-15-2010, 04:25 PM

Well, when I first started to do quilts I thought quilts were only for beds (this was pre-computer/internet - basically prehistoric times) so I started with the log cabin pattern and made Christmas presents - 1 king, 1 queen and 2 twin sized quilts. Took a very long hiatus from quilting after this. I've recently made another king and queen and am just in the thinking stages of trying some smaller projects as I see how beautiful your table runners, mug rugs and wall hanging are here on the board.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM

King size with a turn over for the pillows.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

My biggest 96x120.. Was for a wedding present but after I rsvp'd Hubby , me and my 5 yr old - My niece to be and nephew told me no children allowed so we returned our airline tickets, used the refunded $$ and bought a camper trailer for next summer camping travels and I kept the quilt.. Looks beautiful on my bed..
Old 11-15-2010, 05:10 PM

A king size,and a double king size 120x120. About $190. It was a little difficult to quilt on machine and by hand. Just hard to handle. The person the double king was made for had a queen size made 3 years ago by me. She loves them both. I am now in the process of making 2 more king size quilts for her and 2 queen size. I guess i'll be busy for awhile and eventually and hopefully experienced in making larger quilts.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM

When my daughter got engaged we decided to make quilts for her bridesmaids. Here's the problem - only 10 months until the wedding and seven! bridemaids. So, I made seven twin size quilts using variations of "friendship star".