Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt?

I have a top that i got the backing BEFORE i put on the 6 inch borders and its a diagonal print. Major brainfart. Lol. I'm either going to get more fabric ($$) or figure out a cool way to piece it with the leftover border fabric (for spite lol) i really don't know what i was thinking. Lol

Blog Entries
    Not necessarily "sympathizing", dear, more like "Been there, done that"!

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    I am glad that some of us have a sense of humor. Quilting IS my therapy and my refuge. Thank you for sympathazing with me!!!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I think I still make most of the above mistakes. I don't paper piece, so haven't made any mistakes on that yet!! I cut wrong, sew without an accurate 1/4 seam, can't seem to get from the layout to the machine without switching blocks. that's why I call myself stitchnripper. And fabric amounts, pattern directions, etc. Have made all and will probably continue to make.

As a new quilter I was TOO conscientious about having scant 1/4" seams and got them barely 1/8" on ravelly fabric...need I go on...
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Made a quilt with one block turned the wrong way ... in the middle of the row ... in the fourth or fifth row from the bottom. I had to take out just that block and resew it in. I've probably made every boo -boo you can think of in the short time I've been quilting but expect to make many more in the future! I've been told that it's the mistakes that make the quilts beautiful and unique. Thank heaven for that! :-)
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Kingsport Tn -well we have Funfest every year and I had saved and found some tshirts throughout the years from the start of Funfest 1981-well I got the quilt top done and realize that I was trying to get the quilt done for Funfest-well I was in such a hurry I had went to Hancock Fabrics and I bought the fabric with hot airballoons on it-well I put it all together and when I got it done -binding and all I realized I had put the backing on upside down. But it is a beautiful quilt-I will get my daughter to put me a picture of it on here.I gave it to my grandson. People at banks want to see it all the time-The hamber of Commerce said it had never been done-I only liked three years. Kingsport put a book out and my quilt is in it-so proud of myself. Went to alot of yardsales looking for tshirts from all the Funfest years.

I sandwiched, pinned and also pinned paper pattern for free motion quilting to follow. When I was all finished I realized I had the wrong side of the backing showing. It was cream colored tone on tone, so it was not real noticable, so I left it. It is my throw around quilt in my living room. It is a good reminder of what not to do

Blog Entries
    Call it intentional. The quilt I am FMQ now has white on white deliberately used wrong side out. The white was too bright on the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
    I sandwiched, pinned and also pinned paper pattern for free motion quilting to follow. When I was all finished I realized I had the wrong side of the backing showing. It was cream colored tone on tone, so it was not real noticable, so I left it. It is my throw around quilt in my living room. It is a good reminder of what not to do

Blog Entries
    Making promises to too many people for to many things, from quilting, sewing,etc.
    I need to do more good quality and less hurry things. More fun and enjoy the craft of sewing and
    quilting. Enjoy the day and have fun!
    Last edited by sherian; 05-23-2012 at 08:45 PM.

My biggest mistake was with my very first quilt that I ever made, it was a queen size and I layed it out on the
    living room floor and down on my knee's I went and pinned the whole thing ever 4 inches, only to find out when I went
    to pick it up that ever one was pinned into the carpet under it, I was wore plump out by the time I went back over each one repining !!!
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

Probably my biggest oops was when I was a new quilter many years ago, I followed advice of the don't pre-wash crowd and had the fabric run and almost ruin the quilt. I learned from that and pre-wash everything now.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
    I made all the blocks for a Buzz Saw quilt from flannel and then I realized that I had sewn each and every one of them together wrong. I picked each quilt block apart with a seam ripper and then put them back together. I saved every scrap of thread that I pulled out and put them in a jar. I put a label on the jar to remind me to read the instructions and I keep that jar right next my sewing machine!

Colleen
    That's priceless.I would have too many jars. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Probably the biggest mistake was not quilting the quilt. I was told by someone (whom I trusted) that since it was a large piece that I really didn't have to do anything else to the quilt. I can only blame myself as deep in my heart I knew better. They said that the batting would be caught at the edge in the binding It was a Queen size quilt. Needless to say I had to take the binding off and get new batting then I did a SID. It was a Log Cabin for my son's birthday. That baby was so lumpy that nothing could have made it work. Now I make sure to read the instruction sheet on all batting. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I just finished a simple three stripe quilt sewed it all together then noticed I had a row of cats standing on their heads. Of course it was the row in the middle of the quilt ....what's this about a quarter inch seam? I don't think I have ever achieved one loo.
    Thank you Lord for Friends, Family, and Quilters

Blog Entries
    First of all I have to agree with Deb Watkins...2nd marriage...what was I thinking...once should have been enough of a warning.

But as for my quilt mistake: I was working on a Judy Martin Star quilt and had about 11 of the 15 rows done when I set it aside to look after my DD after her hysterectomy in January this year. Once I came home and started sewing again, I started back on this quilt. I had sewed 2 full rows(18 blocks) wrong before I noticed it. I had revamped the pattern allitle with differnt colours for differnt effects and forgot, so those 18 blocks were according to the pattern, not the alteration...what a mess. I spent the next 2 days cursing at myself and ripping stitches. The quilt is currently sitting on my longarm waiting for inspiration. NOTE to self on that one: If you are going to revamp a pattern, make lots of sticky notes!!!
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

Blog Entries
    everytime i sew, i make mistakes. i'm always fixing something cause i get distracted and do it wrong. (is that a good excuse?) and i always have a 'humility square".

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......
    LMAO!! My first thought was "marrying my 1st husband!" but then mywonderful children wouldn't be who they are!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Not quilting as such - but related to sewing -

I thoroughly oiled my 1962 Bernina with Fray-Check instead of sewing machine oil.
    I think you just won the prize....

and as for marriages...

"A second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    Learned a long time ago that husbands are fine if they belong to someone else!

I think we need a new category on the board called "Oh Crap!"
    Totally agree - Nice to see happily married people but I'm best on my own! Note: Norwegian for Oh Crap = UFFDA

Starting it to begin with. I didn't like the pattern, the fabric, the color choices and, of course, nothing went right during the process of putting it together. Hope to never see it again.

I appliqued a baby quilt and it was so tedious, after I had all the pieces done my granddaughter asked me where the green slashing was on the left side. I forgot it! So I took it apart and redid it and then she asked me where the slashing was in the middle. I wanted to cry. Took it apart again and personally the quilt came out cute but I hate it.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    My biggest mistake was with my very first quilt that I ever made, it was a queen size and I layed it out on the
    living room floor and down on my knee's I went and pinned the whole thing ever 4 inches, only to find out when I went
    to pick it up that ever one was pinned into the carpet under it, I was wore plump out by the time I went back over each one repining !!!
    Oh no! !
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I cut out all of the pieces for a baby quilt and started putting it together and realized I had cut two colors the same way and so it did not work. Fortunatley I had purchased enough to do the backing in the main fabric also so I just figured out what I could do with what I had. I ended up piecing the back in things from my stash and it turned out okay.Name:  IMG_1792.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  68.9 KB
    This is our youngest and she had just given birth to a son 3 days before this pic.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I have made soooo many mistakes that I can't really define one exactly, but I remember cutting out 8" squares for the background for my applique Snowmen. After I cut 36 squares out, I reread the instructions and realized they were suppose to be 9". The Snowmen had very many pieces to each one and I had the hardest time making each piece small enough to look right on the smaller block. It made the entire quilt a nightmare. I had to try all different sizes for each piece of the snowman and the trees and birds and fence and house in each block. I know to read the instructions twice and cut once, but I had to learn the hard way. What was your biggest mistake?
    I usually read the whole thread before comment however in this case just reading your post I'm commenting right away! You are one tenacious person!!!!!! The following comments are not made in criticism they are made in awe of the kind quilter you are!

1) My brain would have totally fried in trying to make the new applique pieces fit the smaller base fabrics.
    2)I don't have a lot of money HOWEVER I would have put those mis-cut 8" squares in my stash pile and purchased another 2.5 yards of base fabric and re-cut my base fabrics to the correct size!!!!!

Hat's off to you!
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Blog Entries
    this is easy. i participated in a thimbleberris BOM. but, it wasnt until a few years later that i got around to thinking "i really should start on these blocks". so one night, i undertook cutting all of the fabric for the blocks in one night. did i seperate by block??? oh no....at the end of the night, i had a big pile of little pieces of fabric that i had no idea what went where. They are in a plastic bag, awaiting the day (HA!) that i have patience to figure out what fabric goes to what block.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast