Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt?

OMG!!! I'm sure that machine was "done for"!
    psumom

Ha-ha! How much time do you have?
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Love, love, love this thread. I was cutting material for a material for a quilt, stopped to do something else, then went back to cutting. Finished cutting all the material, when I found out that my son had moved the magazine with the quilt pattern and changed the page by mistake. I had peices for 2 different quilts! I look closer now.

A couple come to mind- turned two blocks in a gift quilt and didn't see it until it was almost finished. Too late to fix it. The other was that i used two greens that were the same value so you couldnt see the star points. I've made many more, but those two bother me the most.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Blog Entries
    I made a quilt for my DD and had it sandwiched and was hand quilting it when I noticed that in 5 of the blocks the pieced leaves were pointing 'up' instead of 'out'. I ripped two blocks out before I had quilted them, corrected the bl ock and hand sewed them back in. I told her about this and she insisted that I leave the other 3 as they were (wrong). Now the game is to try to find the 3 'funny' blocks when it is on the bed. It is nearly impossible but really kind of interesting1 I'm glad I left those as they were.

Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......

lol

Blog Entries
    Only major thing I can recall was cutting twice as many blocks as I needed but it didn't matter. I soon had to make another quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Funny! Funny! Good way to wake up in the morning with a good chuckle.Thanks

Loved everyone of these replies but Deb Watkins and cmrenno made me laugh - but I am like Bellaboo - every quilt I make has more then one mistake in it. That is just who I am - a wanna be perfectionist -but oh so human.

Quote Originally Posted by deb watkins View Post
    getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......
    love it!!! :-)
    Debbie

Running out of fabric. 3 recent quilts, I've gotten to the end and found I didn't have enough fabric for the final borders. Now, that's been my own fault - on two of those quilts, I redesigned the borders/made it bigger at the last minute, so my original fabric quantities were off. And the third, I knew it was close, but decided to try anyway.

I'm sure I've had other big "oops", but I've carefully blanked them all from my mind. All except the first mystery quilt I made - from 5 different novelty fabrics. The top made me sea-sick to look at, and I finally pitched it as irrepairable last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......
    That's a good one! LOL
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    My biggest mistage was having one block sidewards when I sewed the quilt together. I sandwiched it, top quilted it, and bound it, never seeing the mistake. My 6 year grand daughter (the quilt recipient) saw it. Old eyes!!
    this is one of the mistakes that I have made several times, even with them laid out before sewing... I just say my trade mark sure didn't plan to take it all out after quilting it. If I had seen it earlier then reworking it I would do.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I heard somewhere....early in my quilting career......that the quilters of the past, knowing that there has only been ONE Perfect Person, actually purposely put a mistake in their quilts. I don't do the mistakes on purpose, but when I have one, I chalk it up to the early practice.

Also, I inherited a Drunkards Path quilt top from my grandmother, and found where she had turned one block the wrong direction. I never knew whether it was done on purpose or not.

I can't describe all the mistakes I have made, but when I cut 6 1/2" blocks too small....6" blocks, I just make it work!.....or I recut. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff!
    Linda

I made a rail fence quilt for my SIL and since she wanted all colors I decided to create a rainbow effect on the diagonal. I didn't realize until I started putting the rows together that there are more rows diagonally than horizontally or vertically. I had to take some of the blocks apart and add more fabrics to get the effect I wanted. It turned out beautiful and my SIL loves it. It was my 4th quilt and king size.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Not quilting as such - but related to sewing -

I thoroughly oiled my 1962 Bernina with Fray-Check instead of sewing machine oil.
    Now, that's funny! Something I might do at the end of a long tired day.

Guess I should add my current WIP. I started this quilt for my DGD, before we moved (about 3 years ago). It was to be a QUICK AND SIMPLE quilt . . . just something for her to call her own. The top is just two fabrics (patterned pink and purple w/hearts and solid purple), alternating blocks. Was planning to just attach a blanket backing, do some top stitching, and let that be it. Well, we moved (greatly downsized) and I had no room, for finishing anything. We eventually expanded our space a bit and I had room to spread out. Basted the top to the blanket but my sewing machine was still in a corner, so waited. In the meantime, decided to stitch heart outlines (in solid blocks, to attach the two layers). Marked the hearts. Now I have a sewing room (finished shed) and have all my stuff set up . . . and decided to applique some hearts instead, for the solid squares. Luckily, Hobby Lobby still carries the original fabrics, so no problem there . . . other than WAY underestimating the fabric, I'd need. Trip to HL for more fabric. Also had to make another trip for more iron-on interfacing, for the silly hearts (ran out, after heart #57 of 58) . . . then made extra hearts, just in case. Got the stupid hearts stitched and turned . . . and decided I didn't like them. The edges are too thick and the solid fabric is lightweight. Whined about it, posted about my woes, got needed encouragement from you wonderful folks. Decided I'd just go back to original plan of simply stitching hearts. Yesterday, after more encouragement, decided the applique would be so much nicer, so decided to "paper turn" on Heat N Bond. Have done that before, so no problem. Why didn't I think of it sooner? MUCH sooner??? So yesterday evening, I traced and cut out 60 HnB hearts. In a short while, I'll start ironing them onto fabric and carefully turning the daggum edges, then remove the backing and VERY carefully fuse the edges to the edge of the HnB. Oh . . . and while cutting out the blasted hearts, I decided the top really needs a border . . . so I'll see if I have enough fabric for one. If not . . . . Will deal with that, if and when.

Almost forgot - after turning the first hearts, the bottom points weren't turning well (too narrow), so I went back and re-sewed the bottoms. Was starting to re-turned them, when I decided not to use them.

I am soooooooooo tired of hearts!!!
    Last edited by Neesie; 05-24-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
    Now, that's funny! Something I might do at the end of a long tired day.
    Hey - the containers were about the same size and shape.

I did take the machine to a repair place and they did get it going again. It was 'a bit' embarrassing to tell them what happened.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 05-24-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Amen sister!

mine was cutting fabric in the quilt it was already quilted

Using unwashed red flannel for the backing. It was the first quilt I ever made, for my nephew when he was born. That stuff stained the bed of my Singer Golden Touch-N-Sew and I could never get the stain off, even by scrubbing with Comet. Lesson learned, the hard way.

But, you know what? He turned 34 in August, and he still has that quilt!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Quote Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
    Cutting 5 inch squares and ending up with a rectangle. I had a 8 1/2 inch square ruler and had turned it the wrong way.
    glad to see that I am not the only one

ROFL...I can relate!

I'm not sure if it's my biggest mistake, but my most recent mistake was to cut 140 1 1/2" x 8 1/2" strips for sashing. The mistake? They were only supposed to be 6 1/2" inches. At least it wasn't the other way around!

Blog Entries
    My most recent boo-boo was thinking I could make a throw by just looking at a pic of it...WRONG!!.Since I have three to make, after working and ripping and working and ripping finally got the first one done..got up next morning and ordered the pattern....got it yesterday...looked it over and saw how simple it is.. oh well, lesson learned...the pattern is just for the center..I added the three outside borders to make it bigger..Now I'm anxious to get on the next one...with a pattern to go by...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sak658; 05-24-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast