Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt?

The first quilt I finished. I generally make one block at a time now, but I'd just kept putting blocks together & then I realized I had been having so much fun putting them together, I had enough for two quilts and a pillow! LOL!! I kept one & the other set made a great Christmas gift!! :-)
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Blog Entries
    Sewing a block together and realizing I'd sewed it wrong; ripping it out and sewing it wrong again. Now I know from firsthand knowledge "third times charm".
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Two weeks ago, at an X block class, I sewed a bunch of strips together in the wrong order. Wide, wide, narrow instead of wide, narrow, wide. How could I have been so stupid? The teacher, bless her dear heart, just laughed and grabbed some of them, unsewing as she walked around helping people. Later, I sewed some blocks together in wrong order, too. But it's done now, and I love it. Not necessarily the worst mistake, but the most recent, and I remember it. LOL
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I had a quilt that I was going to put a border on and the fabric was directional. Do you see where this is going? LOL I have learned not to cut fabric after 9pm. This mistake required a trip to LQS. :-)
    Carol in Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......
    Toooo funny, LOL.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
    Cutting 5 inch squares and ending up with a rectangle. I had a 8 1/2 inch square ruler and had turned it the wrong way.
    I just did that last week... for a swap nonetheless & it was like 10:30 at night when I did it... yikes! Good thing I have a big stash, but still...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    LOL - been there!
    Ditto! Tho I can tell you, the 3rd time IS a charm!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I didn't discover until a year later (when I went to use it for the holidays) that not only had I turned a block all wacky in a top, I'd hand quilted it & didn't notice it then. I took pictures of it & didn't even notice it then. Then, when I put it on the table, it was like there was a large neon sign pointing to the mistake. Eek!

Then there was the time, like 2 hours before the baby shower, I went to snip a loose thread & cut a hole in the quilt. Good thing it was a flower pot quilt... I appliqued a bee or a butterfly or something over the spot & nobody was the wiser (until now... LOL!).

My 1st quilting teacher taught us that we we supposed to have a mistake (a God's Eye) in all our quilts. I never have to "work" to have at least one in each quilt... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I am glad that some of us have a sense of humor. Quilting IS my therapy and my refuge. Thank you for sympathazing with me!!!
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Ditto! Tho I can tell you, the 3rd time IS a charm!!!
    Three???? I don't know if I have that much energy left.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    I think the one I regretted the most was rushing the laundering of a very large wedding Queen quilt for my daughter. I washed it once and then tossed it in the dryer. All the quilting lines had not washed out yet so I set them in the dryer. She is fine with it and loves th quilt. I hope that over time they will dissapear.
    Were the marks made with the blue type marking pen? If so, rubbing in vinegar with an extra-soft toothbrush might work. Vinegar is supposed to take out those blue marks, even if they have been set.

Working on a Lone Star. New technique, sew all 4 fabric strips together. There are 8 different sets. Working right along. Get the first six sewn, cut them apart into 16 pieces each. Label them. Then cut the 7th one with the 4 fabrics and something looks wonky. Oh my gosh, I had sewn the wrong fabric on the bottom row. It will mess everything up. Take a deep breath, go get a cup of coffee and come back. I check the fabric batch and there is exactly enough fabric left in the color I need. So I cut two 2" x width of the fabric strips. I rip out the 16 bottom rows, lay the 3 patch strips out on the correct color strips, pin them, sew and cut apart. Thank goodness for the extra material. Thinking all that time that NOBODY ever makes a mistake when quilting but me....thank goodness for the honesty on this board....sure makes me feel better. (And I do have a nice bunch of 2" diagonal pieces I can use on something else.)
    Busy in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Too funny LOL!!!!
    I enjoyed Deb W.'s answer, too!!

Blog Entries
    I was working on a tube quilt. Stopped, fixed dinner and headed back to my studio. Picked up the ruler and continued
    cutting. Even though I was tired I finished. Started putting the blocks together and they weren't all the same size. On the cutting table were TWO rulers. I don't even remember getting the second one out. I haven't finished that quilt or quilts yet.
    Happy Quilting.

Power Poster
    Not quilting as such - but related to sewing -

I thoroughly oiled my 1962 Bernina with Fray-Check instead of sewing machine oil.

Mine was with my first quilt, a twin-sized TIC, for my mom. I got a block pattern, from the internet, and made a bunch of them. Then I started laying them out on the floor . . . and the block pattern, I'd chosen, was apparently meant to be used as a pillow or something . . . because the many blocks did NOT fit together, to form the (continuous) TIC. I remember shedding a few tears. LOL Looked up a different pattern and did a lot of ripping and re-stitching.

I don't make mistakes...I make happy accidents!
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

cutting zebra print fabric for a bag, then discovered that the stripes would run side to side, not up and down.....don't think I've ever seen a zebra with side to side stripes! LOL another trip to WalMart for more fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Not quilting as such - but related to sewing -

I thoroughly oiled my 1962 Bernina with Fray-Check instead of sewing machine oil.
    Oh my!!! :0 !!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Yep.....did that too!

LOL!!~! I understand..but dummy me went and did it 4 times!!! I guess we can say it was a quilting mistake if he was jelous of our quilting time...The good thing was when I threw him out, I had more room to keep stash!!

Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......

Not a huge mistake (although I've made millions of those..), but I have a walhanging in our guest room and there is one, just one, half square triangle that is turned the wrong way.. Aaarrgh!!! Well, it's been hanging there for years now, and not one person has said a word about it - except my daughter, whose room it was originally, and she said she noticed it one night when she couldn't sleep and was counting the squares in the wallhanging. I have sworn her to secrecy and all's right with the world.... except I still look at that one half square triangle every time I go in that room, and just shake my head.... Well, I'm not perfect (really!) so I guess I can't expect every quilt to be perfect.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

This one was priceless. Yep my biggest error as well. Waaaaaay funny!

Blog Entries
    My son's wildlife quilt has two. A hole cut in it after it was quilted - an opportunity to do more threadpainting. And only two of the corners have cornerstones. Just blew right past the other two. At least they are opposite diagonally so it can be a new design. The other two have colliding flying geese which is what I was trying to avoid.

Blog Entries
    Learned a long time ago that husbands are fine if they belong to someone else!

I think we need a new category on the board called "Oh Crap!"

Three???? I don't know if I have that much energy left.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast