Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt?

Ooooh, that's PRETTY!!!

I am making Mystery Quilt VI "Bittersweet". I started cutting the background squares from the border fabric and had to quickly find someone who had the border fabric in stock. Fortunately, I found someone who had the fabric. That is one mistake I'll never make again!

I signed up for a BOM at my then LQS. I was assured that I would love the colors. I didn't like the colors at all. I don't quilt in browns and greens. Muddy blues don't do much for me either, but the Moody Blues do--but that is another topic. After I soldiered on with the darn thing, I found out that she had used several variations. I think she should have asked which was preferred, or used the same colors on all the quilts. The quilt top is finished and ironed. The backing is ready. I intend on tying it. It isn't worth it to me to send it out or try to quilt it myself. I call it the 'ugly' quilt. It has been called that since the second month. I will post when I finally get it tied. I need a big place to lay it out, and haven't found a place big enough yet...

Anita in Northfield, MN

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmrosie View Post
    Love, love, love this thread. I was cutting material for a material for a quilt, stopped to do something else, then went back to cutting. Finished cutting all the material, when I found out that my son had moved the magazine with the quilt pattern and changed the page by mistake. I had peices for 2 different quilts! I look closer now.
    You made my belly jiggle with laughter!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Being a new quilter, afraid to make mistakes keeps me from having fun and really learning the art. This thread really helped in my understanding that mistakes will happen and you move on from there . . . this is not a dress rehearsal and I need to live my life without fearing I will make mistakes. I am old enough to have learned this lesson years ago but it is still a hang-up for me. This question and answers has really given me insight, thank you all sooooo much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I made a Lone Star but apparently I had turned the bits the wrong way so my star radiates into the point (which is kind of cool) but I really mucked up the angles. Working with all those bias pieces was not a good idea for a total beginner. One of these days I will pull it out and fix it.
    That sounds cool. I'd like to see it.

I made a cute little dolphin quilt that will forever to referred to as the wonky dolphin quilt. My 1/4 inch seam is more like what ever width my presser foot is, it's pretty close. Well that works if you are using the same machine/foot to make the entire quilt. I didn't. I forced my blocks together, stretching some here, pleating a little there. I sent it off the charity LA, and she promptly returned it to me as a complete mess and "please don't do that again." It wouldn't lay flat at all. It had little mountains and valleys when you laid it flat. Another quilter took it over as a challenge and fixed it. I don't know what she did, I know she didn't take it completely apart.

So don't mix your seam sizes. Be consistant.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Not quilting as such - but related to sewing -

I thoroughly oiled my 1962 Bernina with Fray-Check instead of sewing machine oil.
    oh, wow, how did you get it out before it dried? Did it ruin the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK View Post
    Probably the biggest mistake was not quilting the quilt. I was told by someone (whom I trusted) that since it was a large piece that I really didn't have to do anything else to the quilt. I can only blame myself as deep in my heart I knew better. They said that the batting would be caught at the edge in the binding It was a Queen size quilt. ...
    Wow, why on earth would someone say you didn't need to quilt a large quilt? Where you tieing it or something? Did they think you were making a wall hanging-a really large wall hanging? Good think you could fix it. Think of the lumps as little bits of love reach out to goose you.

The biggest mistake I ever (not that I have a long history?) made making a quilt was stippling a fairly large lap quilt too close together and also in close quarters. I was almost at completion and found that the backing had several folds in it, and I had to rip out all of those tight/close stitches. It was a nightmare but I fixed it and completed it--whew!!! Hubby is now working on a sewing room for me and I will not make anything larger than a small wall quilt until it is done.

I've made all of them at one time or another. The second quilt I pieced was an Irish Chain. I ran out of red and decided to replace the corner squares with black. Looked great till I put the blocks together, we still call it the zipper quilt.
    Vic Tori Ann Work Shop

Geez Louise I have many boo boos. My latest was the disappearing nine patch quilt. Sounds easy right? Well it is unless you use one directional fabric! You know where I'm going with this. All the little people on the quilt were going every which way. I was so embarrassed. Was actually going to show you guys but I chickened out!

I have made a lot of mistakes but this one is the worst. I have insomnia & last night was a long night. I decided if I wasn't sleepin' I would sew. I worked on several blocks. One of 'em was a PP Mariners Compass that I had reduced so it would go w/my 8" PC club blocks. Around 3:00 am I started ta git a little sleepy but I decided ta go ahead & finish it. At 4:00am I finished it, & realized that it is 9 1/2"! I'm gonna make it into a pot holder.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carrieg View Post
    I had a quilt that I was going to put a border on and the fabric was directional. Do you see where this is going? LOL I have learned not to cut fabric after 9pm. This mistake required a trip to LQS. :-)
    Carol,

I don't consider that a mistake, but rather an opportunity for retail therapy!
    The Quilting Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......
    Ha ha! Love it

Blog Entries
    besides coming out short on some blocks and not cutting a strip without elbows , forgot to remove paper from my granddaugther applique quilt but that my secert lol
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz

I cut all the blocks out for a quilt without sewing a test block. All 63 of them--only to discover that when I tried to sew them together, none of the pieces fit. Lots of little scraps went into my scrap basket that day. Lesson learned-always cut AND sew a test block before you waste $100 worth of fabric!!!

My mistake was not buy enough fabric. I purchased fabric for a quilt according to the pattern BUT it was not enough. Later I found out there had been a correction issued with the correct fabric listed. SO; now days my DH say always buy atleast half yard more or a yard- anyway. SO; if I like the fabric I buy more YARDAGE; I can always use the extra for another quilt. I now have a large stash. I must admit ; I have gotten in a hurry and mis cut a time or two.

I just made a doozy of a mistake. I'm making a Bonnie Hunter "Pineapple Blossoms" quilt out of blues. If you make the version with sashings out of a different colorway, it forms a secondary pattern. I selected a red print. When I cut the strips last week I misread my cutting directions and cut the sashings 1/2 inch too short. After assembling the blocks, I decided I really liked the all blue scrappiness, so I counted out my blue 9.5" strips and I have enough for the sashings! I have enough of the white/blue print I used for the pineapple corners in the block to cut cornerstones, so I may not have to buy any additional fabric.
    Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Not quilting as such - but related to sewing -

I thoroughly oiled my 1962 Bernina with Fray-Check instead of sewing machine oil.
    OH, OH, OH! I sooo feel the pain. It's so something I would do. Could they clean it? Did it cost as much as you paid for the machine?
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Quote Originally Posted by My time View Post
    Geez Louise I have many boo boos. My latest was the disappearing nine patch quilt. Sounds easy right? Well it is unless you use one directional fabric! You know where I'm going with this. All the little people on the quilt were going every which way. I was so embarrassed. Was actually going to show you guys but I chickened out!
    Awe, come on, show us the upside down/sideways people. Reading this board is always a bright spot of my day. Gorgeous quilts, great ideas, and friends to laugh with!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

I just recently cut out a quilt for one of my DGD's and decided to put a block together to see what it would look like. It was so pretty that I actually posted it on another forum! Can you see what is wrong with this block? I didn't until I posted it, hee, hee! Had to take it apart and redo one corner. And that's my ONLY mistake.........!!!!!....????? LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My recent mistake was cutting a long border 1 inch short! But before that I excitedly made some half-square triangles and sewed them together with out trimming them to size.....thus had the terrible one point short of the center accusing me of careless, thoughtless, quilting. Reminder to myself..stay calm, forget being excited! I put that project aside for awhile.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    I just finished a Lone Star quilt make with Quiltsmart stuff (I think that is what it was called). It has taken me a 1 1/2 years to finish it. I had trouble sewing the large triangles to it, didn't seem to be right size, then the binding I started wasn't long enough (I have never had that happen before!) I tried piecing some scrap strips to make binding longer and then as I sewing the binding to the back, I flipped to the front and the extra binding had the selvage with the name of the company and the name of the fabric, but I am not taking it out!
    quilting with my dogs

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Ditto! Tho I can tell you, the 3rd time IS a charm!!!
    Fully agree :-)
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast