Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
    I just recently cut out a quilt for one of my DGD's and decided to put a block together to see what it would look like. It was so pretty that I actually posted it on another forum! Can you see what is wrong with this block? I didn't until I posted it, hee, hee! Had to take it apart and redo one corner. And that's my ONLY mistake.........!!!!!....????? LOL!
    Hmmmmm, I have a block that looks kinda like that except it's sewn into the quilt top. At least the top doesn't have borders on it yet so I can take it out and fix it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My MIL told me that I could go through her stash before she put it out in the yard sale. I did pick out a few pieces of blue and used them in a scrappy quilt. As I was putting the binding on, my fingers turned a lovely shade of indigo. Although I had prewashed all the fabric - this was OLD fabric and it ran like the ocean. 9 washes later, the water was starting to clear but the fabric had changed dramatically. From then on I became very leary of old stash.

Another time, I had a few projects piled on the table and I needed to trim one last block. I remember thinking that I needed to be extra careful because I had NO fabric left. I cut the block perfectly. Unfortunately, IT was laying on the corner of another block and I whacked off the corner. Can't remember how I resolved the problem, but now - when I think "Be EXTRA careful OR....." I usually take the time to remove the obstacle. Some things are not worth repeating.

Everyone has made mistakes on a quilt. I was leading a mystery quilt and when sewing the subsections together got part upside down so instead of the pattern aiming toward the middle one of the 4 sides was aiming out to the edge. Did not see when sewing, when ironing, when making the back, when going to the longarm quilter, etc. A friend said something as I was sewing the last of the border on. I now take a photo of the top before quilting to check for layout errors.
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I always make more then one mistake on any quilt I make. That's a given for me. It doesn't bother me anymore.
    Thank you so much! I have given up thinking I could do one without mistakes...
    Have a Blessed Day

I made a broken dishes small quilt for a QOM and saw after it was finished and quilted that 1 block was a pinwheel! I need a design wall instead of the floor lol.
    Kathy Osterby

Blog Entries
    Answer the doorbell.
    Aussie Carol

Blog Entries
    Answer the doorbell!
    Aussie Carol

I was making a wedding quilt for my daughter with sawtooth stars. It was a California Queen. When I got the entire thing together, quilted and bound I realized that one block had one flying geese upside down. Fortunately it was in the upper right corner. Luckily with the flying geese upside down, it made the center look like a house. I embroidered the house with their name and wedding date. It looked like I had done it on purpose!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    starting in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......
    "Third times a charm" (speaking from experience and a 39 year marriage).

Just finished my first quilt and I didn't know to meaure the top before adding the border--I cut the borders as instructed. This is one mistake I won't make again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    There are no mistakes, just design opportunities. I have had more design opportunies than I can remember.
    I love this--or I planned all along to do it that way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie View Post
    I was making a wedding quilt for my daughter with sawtooth stars. It was a California Queen. When I got the entire thing together, quilted and bound I realized that one block had one flying geese upside down. Fortunately it was in the upper right corner. Luckily with the flying geese upside down, it made the center look like a house. I embroidered the house with their name and wedding date. It looked like I had done it on purpose!
    Nice save!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I always make more then one mistake on any quilt I make. That's a given for me. It doesn't bother me anymore.
    I've got to say - I decided awhile back that since there is always some type of mistake, I decided that would almost be my signature! Kind of like - Where's Waldo! Inevitably there is some type of mistake. Then I weigh the size of the mistake and what it would take to fix versus would anyone even notice. Most times I go with most people would never notice and I am surprisingly good with it!
    Dawn

A very recent one for me was when I decided to cut the binding on the bias. I watched tutorials to figure out how to cut continuous bias binding. Ended up too short. Called a friend to pick up more fabric. She did. She even bought the rest of the bolt - just in case I had any problems. The 2nd strip I cut had the stripes going in the opposite direction. Yikes! No one warned me that could happen. My friend brought over the rest of the fabric so I could cut another strip. It didn't matter which direction the stripes went on this one. Now I have 200" of binding ready for a baby quilt. At least it wasn't a total loss.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Not quilting as such - but related to sewing -

I thoroughly oiled my 1962 Bernina with Fray-Check instead of sewing machine oil.
    That is TOO funny! (I'm sure it was NOT funny at the time!) Reminds me of the time my dad brushed his teeth with shaving cream! And I very nearly gargled with toilet bowl cleaner--thank goodness I realized the top didn't come off right!
    ~( ) Jeri

Quote Originally Posted by kateyb View Post
    I made a rail fence quilt for my SIL and since she wanted all colors I decided to create a rainbow effect on the diagonal. I didn't realize until I started putting the rows together that there are more rows diagonally than horizontally or vertically. I had to take some of the blocks apart and add more fabrics to get the effect I wanted. It turned out beautiful and my SIL loves it. It was my 4th quilt and king size.
    You are a wonderful friend to make a king-size quilt for your SIL--the work involved boggles my mind! No wonder she loves it!!!
    ~( ) Jeri

My biggest mistake was buying batik to make a quilt and learned that batik is not "hand quilter friendly". I did it but it was not one of my happiest times.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......

I was going to say the third time... He was after the death of my second. I soon corrected that mistake and now have a good one.

NOT using cotton fabrics for quilting. let me tell you that 50/50 polyester is NOT suitable for hand quilting......

My biggest mistake/s would be NOT FINISHING THE QUILT. I love cutting and piecing and then I lose interest. When I am really committed to finishing one, it is true drudgery.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    I don't usually read whole posts this long, but this one is a doozy Guess we are all human esp. in picking spouses. (I speak also from experience)

My biggest quilt mistake was done just last winter. I had made a quilt on a whimsy, not too sure I even liked it, and was eager to try my budding machine quilting skills on it, since it didn't matter too much. I thought I had adjusted the tension correctly, but the whole back is a batch of eyelashes. I am just not interested in tearing it out so am going to keep it as a warning to myself about such carelessness. I did end up liking the quilt a lot, and now I can't show it, cause the quilt police would rip me to shreds if I put it in the fair or in a show. Live and learn, I say.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

I have just spent the last two days unpicking a bargello. It required 23 fabrics for 4 strip sets . That was a momumental task to start with.I somehow managed to mix up fabric 17 and 18 on one of the sets and it wasn't until I found two of the same fabrics joining each other that I realized my mistake.!!!! mutter !!!mutter

Blog Entries
    I was quilting a nice red and white quilt for my best friend...when I finished it and took it off the frame, I found a huge fold had been quilted into the back. I was just STUNNED!! That never happened before or since....and she never mentioned it!! She's a great friend, and a wonderful quilter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by My time View Post
    Geez Louise I have many boo boos. My latest was the disappearing nine patch quilt. Sounds easy right? Well it is unless you use one directional fabric! You know where I'm going with this. All the little people on the quilt were going every which way. I was so embarrassed. Was actually going to show you guys but I chickened out!
    Haha!! That just made that quilt multi-directional!! I have done that so many times with that pattern I now consider it the "normal" way to make it!! :-)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast