Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM
butterflywing

[amma]

I took offense when I read this:

when amma gave you that help on pp, i would like to have been there. is it posted on tutorials? if it is, i'll look for it.

when someone is learning a new skill, such as the ones that cutebuns teaches, they should be posted as cutebuns does, for everyone to learn from them and ask questions. this is what i mean by becoming too insular.

Maybe a PM to me asking me what, where when and why would have been more appropriate. I would gladly have answered just like I did above! But when remarks like this are made in an open comment or discussed in PM's, they can be misconstrued. The reason here was totally different from what was supposed.

Go directly to the person, ask why did you do or say this... You may find that the reason was honest, legitimate, and honorable. I was not hiding it in my PDA, I was just waiting for the right time to post it.

Would the same thing have been said if k3n was visiting at my house, I showed her how to make this block, and she went home and made hers. The next day posted it on my PDA to say thank you and I did it!!!
I almost feel like if I help someone with a quilting question, that I have to always post my help/tutorial or drawings? Even when I may not be comfortable sharing a rather poorly done photographic tutorial put together rather quickly?
that was me and i apologize. it was my mistaken understanding that the lesson was given onboard. words cannot tell you how sorry i am that i hurt you. i think you know that, amma.

when someone is in the learning process, everyone wants to see the mistakes, if there are any, as well as the progress. that's how we all learn. those mistakes are the same ones we are all prone to making, and learning how to get past them is important. i keep hearing that we're supposed to be a family, and family members don't get embarrassed by their mistakes. that's why we ask for help in the first place. how nice for all of us if we all knew it all and didn't need any help. i often need help, and i'm glad to say that people have been very kind about giving it.

i like it when members show us what they're up to and what they plan to do next. then they show where they are in the project and ask opinions about what the next step might be. then they show us what decision was made and what the finished project looks like. it 's like we're all in the next room peeping in from time to time. we hear the quilter say, 'oh, beans! look at what i did wrong!', and we all run in to see. i feel as though we're taking part in a quilting conversation. when this give and take doesn't happen, i feel like quilters are saying 'here's my quilt', instead of saying 'share what happened'. imho.