View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 AM
amma
Power Poster

This is the tutorial for a log cabin style square in a square block I put together for Sharon b's C-1 block in the Dear Jane block exchange. I made the files small for those with dial-up :wink:

You will need:
A glue stick
Pins- I prefer flower head pins, they lay flatter and don’t distort the paper as much.
I use and prefer regular copy paper
2 copies of this block
Fabric scraps
Thread
Rotary cutter
Ruler
A piece of cardboard with a straight edge or something else very flat to use, to fold the paper over. Rotary rulers are to thick. I used an old Utunes credit type card in these pictures.

Always measure your blocks after printing them out, some will be too large or too small. If you use steam to press, it can even shrink some papers. If you must use steam, steam press your papers first to preshrink them. I do not use steam ever for paper piecing, but that is my preference.

On the back side of one of the patterns, mark each piece with a big X. Then cut out each piece, these will be your templates, be SURE that you use it as a template with the X side up. All fabric should also be right side up. This will not really apply to this block, but it will to many others, so it is a good habit to start out with. Cut your fabric 3/8” to a ½” bigger then the template, this will give you wiggle room. After this block you may find that cutting them exact will work for you, if you are unsure, continue cutting them larger. The last round of the block, I always cut them at 1/2" larger just in case when squaring them up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-6965.pdf (1.20 MB, 489 views)
File Type: pdf
Attachment-57325.pdf (1.84 MB, 330 views)