Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM
soozieq2

I wanted a machine I could take to classes instead of my beloved Bernina. I did a lot of research and decided on a Singer 301. The price was much, much more reasonable, it is a bit heavier and therefore sits well on the table and it has the lovely stitch of the Featherweight. It is not too heavy to carry with me and has a great little handle on the top. My grandchildren used it when we made bean bags and it sewed beautifully. I would have been anxious to let them use my Bernina. The 301 stands up to hard use. I am thrilled with it. Yes, those FW's are darn cute but so is my 301. To each her own! I was disappointed to realize that it wasn't wise to switch back and forth between the 301 and my Bernina while sewing on the same project. I suggest that you consider that issue if you think you can sew on one in class and the other at home. And I love having two machines which enable me to have two projects going at a time. Sometimes I get tired and/or frustrated with one and like to sew on the other for awhile. I don't have to re-thread, etc. Good luck!