Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Singer Feather Weights Really That Great? >

Are Singer Feather Weights Really That Great?

Are Singer Feather Weights Really That Great?

Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM

I wanted a machine I could take to classes instead of my beloved Bernina. I did a lot of research and decided on a Singer 301. The price was much, much more reasonable, it is a bit heavier and therefore sits well on the table and it has the lovely stitch of the Featherweight. It is not too heavy to carry with me and has a great little handle on the top. My grandchildren used it when we made bean bags and it sewed beautifully. I would have been anxious to let them use my Bernina. The 301 stands up to hard use. I am thrilled with it. Yes, those FW's are darn cute but so is my 301. To each her own! I was disappointed to realize that it wasn't wise to switch back and forth between the 301 and my Bernina while sewing on the same project. I suggest that you consider that issue if you think you can sew on one in class and the other at home. And I love having two machines which enable me to have two projects going at a time. Sometimes I get tired and/or frustrated with one and like to sew on the other for awhile. I don't have to re-thread, etc. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I love my FW and can't think of another machine I'd rather "take along" or one more portable in my herd. That being said, find one and try it out before you make your own decision....some folks just don't like them...
Ditto.....I have two FW's and a Janome MC 6500P as well as a Singer 99K.......love them all! My FW's go to the guild classes with me and when I travel.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
just remember, TINY is the key word when it comes to a FW..meaning it is hard to thread, change bobbin, etc, if your eyes are not what they used be or you have fingernails! I find them too small to my liking. I bought a small lightweight Janome Gem silver instead. MOre options, including FMQ, thread play, etc and I can SEE what I am doing!
so sorry you have not enjoyed the FW. I will have to say that Ihave no trouble threading, filling the bobbin or changing the bobbin in my FW'S. To each his own and what fits for your needs is key
Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 PM

This information has been SEW helpful! I too have been tossing around the idea of getting a FW!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Jim

I love my featherweight...it sews great but most of all I love the charm of it...I take my Brother CE8080 Project Runway with me to classes...I love that machine, even though its a new machine it too is a real workhorse!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 PM

In a word, yes. Yes, they are that good. Mine is ALL I use to sew my quilts. And after my DH & my doggy, it's the first thing I'd grab in a fire or tornado or whatever. If you have a chance to get one, get it! You won't regret it!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:50 AM

I have acquired a few FW's- all needing new cords and other work before using. I had a white one for several years but never used it, and sold it. Older and maybe wiser I have been acquiring as I can afford to do so. The prices of $300 and up really have me perplexed. They are not rare- made in the hundreds of thousands. I use my Brother CS6000i for Guild meetings and classes because it is much more versatile with 60 stitches, lightweight, and I don't have to worry about someone filching the bobbin case (same as for the 201) which costs $40 to replace. Sadly, not all quilters are generous and honest souls. The Brother isn't perfect- I don't like the type of case which doesn't have latches, and it skips stitches with light lint buildup, but for the stitches it is well worth it. For heavier sewing like totes and rope baskets I have my trusty Kenmore. I also have many treadles waiting for me to get "a round tuit" and clean them up. I much prefer metal machines with their pretty gold decals to modern plastic for durability and simplicity of repair, like my old VW.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 AM

Filching bobbin cases?! Yikes. I never would have thought.

The prices are coming down even in just the couple months I've been looking. With patience and diligence you can definitely find them under $200, even under $100. I think the ones that go for $300+ right now is because they are a special one in some way or someone wants the "buy it now" option for instant gratification. Depends on what your times worth.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 PM

I just took delivery of a 1935 FW for just a tad over $200 with shipping from eBay. Can't wait to try it out!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 PM

Like someone else said, examine exactly what you want to do with it. I have a Bernina White Pearl as backup for my Bernina 640. But as soon as I finish a memory quilt for a client that I have started I'm selling the Viking Mega Quilter. We are collecting vintage machines and I LOVE sewing on them. The FW goes with me to monthly sewing group and 301 is going with me to a class at the end of the month.