Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Pam B

I love to make raggy quilts so I consider myself not an expert, but someone who definitely can give you some tips! First of all, if you have used a combination of 100% cotton and flannel fabrics, you should be able to get a nice 'fray'. You do need to remember that you are only going to want about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch seam allowance..then you should clip every half inch, or so...right down to the stitching. I purchased a pair of scissors that are kind of like springy...they are specific for rag quilting and I love them (otherwise your hand will really hurt). Since you have already made this quilt...I would suggest that you go completely around it and trim the frayed edges down to no more than an inch...preferably a little less...and then wash/dry it again. It should turn out more like you are envisioning. Right now it kind of looks like a cross between a raggy quilt and one of those no-sew fleecy blankets where you leave the longer strips (2-3) inches and then knot them. I certainly hope you don't think I am being hyper critical of your work...but I do sense you are frustrated with it and these are just suggestions! Good luck! And, in defense of those tied-fleecy blankets...they are fun to do also...especially for kids to do!