View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Sunnye

Originally Posted by BKrenning View Post
My son has a similar issue with fabric--even the clothing hanging on the rack. There is some chemical that some manufacturer's use that sets off a migraine. Going school shopping with him is a fun experience. He quickly walks through the was boys--now mens department and we have to take note of anything he likes. Then he stands a safe distance away while hubby & I try to find his size. If we're successful; we all dash to the fitting rooms and he quickly tries them on. This is mainly for pants. Shirts we can usually eyeball for fit. Even with the extra pre-cautions; it is very rare that we are actually able to complete this annual nightmare in one trip. The best way for us has been to make a day of it and stop at many stores for short spurts. His migraine will go away as quickly as it hits him if he doesn't spend more than 10 minutes near the offending clothing. In Joann's, he learned a long time ago to stay away from the fabric section. We do know from an experience with a new car that had been treated with Scotchguard, that will set off his migraines. There is no way to tell on fabric though if it has been treated or which chemical is causing the migraines. Later this summer, on our annual scavenger hunt for new school clothes, I plan to make him take allergy pills for a week before the adventure begins to see if it helps.
Wow. Have you tried shopping online? Has he worn a mask while shopping? It doesn't keep everything out, but it helps. I had to walk around Asheville, NC on a walking tour (the spooky kind at night) wearing my mask because one man bathed in cologne.