Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JoAnn's story continued... >

JoAnn's story continued...

JoAnn's story continued...

Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 AM

Default JoAnn's story continued...

Some of you read that Friday I bought a ton of flannels, quilters and cozy.
I complained that most were bleeding, then some were pilling.
I was planning on going back to the store.
But I was sidelined by sinus/migraine attack. Did nothing Saturday except take my medicine and try to recover. Sunday I washed a few more pieces in the hope that the bleeding would end (ha-ha on me!). Then I got sick again.
I had to take a prednisone (for severe allergy attacks which up till now has only happened with foods!) to start my day today.
I managed, in pain and shaking, to get to JoAnn's. I showed the clerk my stack of colored color catchers and the pilled fabric. Then I was shaking so badly I held onto the counter and told her I thought I had an allergic reation to the chemicals in the flannel.
They were so nice from the get-go. They didn't question anything. One woman carried my BIG bag of fabric back to the cutting area so it could be verified. But the manager said no need since it had been washed, just make out a new slip for him. The only thing that was ever said to the manager was that I had had an allergic reaction; no more questions asked.
Aside from reds, I haven't had a problem with JoAnn's flannels like this. I've never smelled any chemicals before. Makes me wonder if they've changed something along the way. Only the cozy flannel was a problem. It also was so thin, I thought. Didn't feel good really but I did like the colors!
So, good news: got my money back and they were very nice; bad news: it's either me or JoAnn's flannel that has a problem.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 AM

I hope you get to feeling better. It is nice to see a good story about Joann's. Every time I go in there, they are extremely nice. I haven't had any issues with returning anything.
I went in one time to buy a bias tape maker. I read the ad wrong, it wasn't to go on sale till the next day. But the manager let me buy at the sale price anyways.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:35 AM

Well, I hope that you are feeling better now. What a terrible experience for you. I am glad that at least they were nice at JoAnn's. Hope you will totally recover from all those symptoms soon. You probably should just stay away from that flannel. God bless.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Your story makes me wonder where they're getting their flannels from. I hope no one uses them for children's clothing.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Thanks for your kind wishes, Chasing Hawk and Nanquilts44. I am better now, with another dose of medicine, but staying away from all fabric for now.
Too bad too. This weekend my husband was off on his motorcycle so I was going to take the time opportunity to make baby quilts, receiving blankets & hooded towels to start selling.
Ah........best laid plans.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
Your story makes me wonder where they're getting their flannels from. I hope no one uses them for children's clothing.
My thoughts, also. I was going to use all the lint to stuff my cuddlies (don't know what else to call them!) When I start selling my baby stuff, a cuddley will go with each. But now I think I'll just throw it all away!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 AM

It does sound as if the fabric was making you sick! Pretty scary! I hope that never happens again!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:54 AM

Eak! So glad you're feeling better. I purchased some kitty flannel years ago but I didn't remember from where because it was a while before I went to use it. I washed it but there was a petroleum type smell that would not go away. I washed it several more times & then threw it out as I couldn't get rid of that smell. Luckily, I didn't have any reaction but I didn't want anyone else to end up with it either. I never had anything like that happen since and that was probably close to 10 years ago.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the update. Sorry your feeling so bad and I hope it wasn't The fabric. I bought some of the Quilters Flannels and hope I don't have a problem.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:41 PM

The quilters flannel I got was OK, joyce888.

And remember: I'm allergic to everything! Almost anything with a smell will bring on a headache at the least, then swollen sinuses in my face, followed by migraine and, at the worst, the allergic reaction (more/different pain in the head).
It didn't really help to find out WHAT it is that makes these smells bother me; it's in so many things it doesn't help to know the name, I just have to know to run as fast as I can from it.

I was glad to find out that JoAnn's was willing to give me a refund (on all except one that was discounted but I wasn't told it was discounted when I bought it/oh well).