Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JoAnn's story continued... >

JoAnn's story continued...

JoAnn's story continued...

Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

So sorry to hear you were not feeling well!!! Hopefully it was not the fabric!!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

I do hope you continue to feel better! thanks for the update. We have a new Joann's and I have been very pleased with everyone I've encountered so far. Very helpful and friendly. And, they will cut a 1/8 yard piece of fabric.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 AM

The last time I went to Joann's I looked at all the bolt ends and every single one said "made in China". I love to buy notions there, but no more fabric!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:45 AM

I bought 2 different brands of flannel from Joann's recently. 1 of them pilled terribly and the other didn't. I took the pilled 1 back yesterday for a refund. At first the girl behind the counter wasn't going to give a refund because it had been washed. I told her that it had to be washed before using because flannel shrinks and the pilling made it unusable for a gift I was making. She called the manager and the manager ok'd it. I guess they have a policy that if the fabric's been washed it can't be returned...I'm just glad they gave me my refund but am a little leary about if it happens again...

Diannia
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
I bought 2 different brands of flannel from Joann's recently. 1 of them pilled terribly and the other didn't. I took the pilled 1 back yesterday for a refund. At first the girl behind the counter wasn't going to give a refund because it had been washed. I told her that it had to be washed before using because flannel shrinks and the pilling made it unusable for a gift I was making. She called the manager and the manager ok'd it. I guess they have a policy that if the fabric's been washed it can't be returned...I'm just glad they gave me my refund but am a little leary about if it happens again...

Diannia
Yes, how do you know if it bleeds or pills unless it's washed? The first clerk checking it all did not measure. Then she had to go to lunch and the next girl started measuring. The first one told her not to bother, that it wouldn't "measure up" but it was already OK'd.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM

My son has a similar issue with fabric--even the clothing hanging on the rack. There is some chemical that some manufacturer's use that sets off a migraine. Going school shopping with him is a fun experience. He quickly walks through the was boys--now mens department and we have to take note of anything he likes. Then he stands a safe distance away while hubby & I try to find his size. If we're successful; we all dash to the fitting rooms and he quickly tries them on. This is mainly for pants. Shirts we can usually eyeball for fit. Even with the extra pre-cautions; it is very rare that we are actually able to complete this annual nightmare in one trip. The best way for us has been to make a day of it and stop at many stores for short spurts. His migraine will go away as quickly as it hits him if he doesn't spend more than 10 minutes near the offending clothing. In Joann's, he learned a long time ago to stay away from the fabric section. We do know from an experience with a new car that had been treated with Scotchguard, that will set off his migraines. There is no way to tell on fabric though if it has been treated or which chemical is causing the migraines. Later this summer, on our annual scavenger hunt for new school clothes, I plan to make him take allergy pills for a week before the adventure begins to see if it helps.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beatys9 View Post
Eak! So glad you're feeling better. I purchased some kitty flannel years ago but I didn't remember from where because it was a while before I went to use it. I washed it but there was a petroleum type smell that would not go away. I washed it several more times & then threw it out as I couldn't get rid of that smell. Luckily, I didn't have any reaction but I didn't want anyone else to end up with it either. I never had anything like that happen since and that was probably close to 10 years ago.
That piece probably was a blend with polyester or nylon it. Cotton does not smell like petroleum. Unless it was spilled on it.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning View Post
My son has a similar issue with fabric--even the clothing hanging on the rack. There is some chemical that some manufacturer's use that sets off a migraine. Going school shopping with him is a fun experience. He quickly walks through the was boys--now mens department and we have to take note of anything he likes. Then he stands a safe distance away while hubby & I try to find his size. If we're successful; we all dash to the fitting rooms and he quickly tries them on. This is mainly for pants. Shirts we can usually eyeball for fit. Even with the extra pre-cautions; it is very rare that we are actually able to complete this annual nightmare in one trip. The best way for us has been to make a day of it and stop at many stores for short spurts. His migraine will go away as quickly as it hits him if he doesn't spend more than 10 minutes near the offending clothing. In Joann's, he learned a long time ago to stay away from the fabric section. We do know from an experience with a new car that had been treated with Scotchguard, that will set off his migraines. There is no way to tell on fabric though if it has been treated or which chemical is causing the migraines. Later this summer, on our annual scavenger hunt for new school clothes, I plan to make him take allergy pills for a week before the adventure begins to see if it helps.
Wow. Have you tried shopping online? Has he worn a mask while shopping? It doesn't keep everything out, but it helps. I had to walk around Asheville, NC on a walking tour (the spooky kind at night) wearing my mask because one man bathed in cologne.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:24 PM

I have found that sometimes in the fabric dept's the smell of some of them isn't great and bothers me there so I don't buy them. Maybe it's something with the flannels but I have had problems with other fabrics. I also get those sinus problems and it's not funny. I'm glad to hear your feeling a little better. I have to say that when I have had to exchange at JoAnne's they've always been very nice of course I live there sometimes when they have their good sales. I've got another good coupon that starts June 2nd so I need to decide what I need most. Stay well. Sue
Old 05-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

oh my dear.....I am sorry to hear this happened to you....sadly it is happening more frequently...more chemicals are used everyday to get our fabric into this country!

I do hope you can find someone to wash it for you next time!