View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 AM
elizajo

I had an old 36" X 72" cardboard cutting board in which I cut a sewing machine-sized hole on the front, right side. I cut the same sized hole in a sheet of clear vinyl sheeting that I bought at Hancocks. I then placed my machine on the dining room table and began stacking my cookbook and coffee table art book collection around surface of the table. It didn't require a solid layer of books, just enough to support the cutting board. I lowered the cutting board over the machine and let it rest on top of the books. Then I placed the vinyl on top of the cutting board and clipped the edges to the cutting board with jumbo paper clips. I cut a second piece of vinyl to fit over the machine bed with a hole for the needle. I only had to pay for the vinyl with this set up.

I liked this set up because I could reach under the cutting board to access the bobbin door on my vintage Bernina 830. I just have to convince my family that they don't need to eat at the table for a week while I quilt a few hours a day.

Oh, I need to pay better attention to ergonomics next time I do this. Sewing with my machine on a regular 30" table is a really bad plan for my bad back and neck. I think I need to raise my office chair and put my feet on a pedestal. of some sort.

Last edited by elizajo; 06-03-2012 at 10:59 AM.