Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

You can applique the words using steam-a-seam ... it's a product that you iron onto the fabric, cut out your letters, then peel off some paper and press those letters on where you want. If you want it to last well, then you do a satin stitch with your machine, around the edges of those letters.

Another way to do the letters that to me would be a very easy way for a beginning sewer, which it seems you are telling us that you are ......... create the words along with the whole quilt design in a grid pattern using graph paper ... then use that grid to cut out blocks accordingly, in the different colours that you want. You can create angles by using what we call HSTs (half square triangles)

Those blocks can be any size .... 2x2", 3x3" etc ... all depending on how big you want your quilt to be! You'll be sewing 1/4" seams, so each block will end up being 1/2" smaller with the seams.

Here's a link to a quilt I did ... all done in the way I have explained to you. HOpefully it will help give you a visual, and see how the HSTs work into the design ... also a few QSTs (quarter square triangles) ....
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t136789.html

Another option, as mentioned is embroidery ... someone who has an embroidery machine could sew/write your message out and then you could sew that into your quilt.