View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Kathy Buell

Ok, we all learned to quilt some how, I learned from my Granny, (my mom's mom) when I was 11. Because she taught me this wonderful skill I have been able to keep my family warm with quilts each and every night of their lives as well as my husband and I. Warm not only with fabric and batting but with love and comfort that only an hand made quilt will give. In her memory I have made severel lap quilts and taken them to the nursing home to share with the residents that live there, many of them bed ridden. I left them with the office to be given out or shared as they saw fit. I know that my Granny would have loved it. I didn't wait around for a thank you from the residents, and it is a wonderful feeling. I made some that were girly and some that were more manly, most were somewhere in the middle but all were nice and would keep them just a little warmer when they were watching TV or setting in their wheel chairs visiting.
Ok so what is the challange, I chanllange you to do the same in your home town, it wouldn't matter if you make one lap quilt or 100, but do it and thank the generation that passed on many wonderful and needed skills to you. This would be a great thing to do with scouts or other youth groups of classes to continue passing on the tradition and skills. Just like someone did with you.
My Granny, Lilly Beatric Searan, of Oklahoma, passed away over 6 years ago at the wonderful old age of 92. She had 13 children and at last count, well she lost count as to just how many great grandchildren she had but it is well over 100. I'm not sure how many of her grandchildren quilt but we all remember her.