Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A challange in memory of my Granny >

A challange in memory of my Granny

A challange in memory of my Granny

Old 09-17-2009, 08:04 PM

Ok, we all learned to quilt some how, I learned from my Granny, (my mom's mom) when I was 11. Because she taught me this wonderful skill I have been able to keep my family warm with quilts each and every night of their lives as well as my husband and I. Warm not only with fabric and batting but with love and comfort that only an hand made quilt will give. In her memory I have made severel lap quilts and taken them to the nursing home to share with the residents that live there, many of them bed ridden. I left them with the office to be given out or shared as they saw fit. I know that my Granny would have loved it. I didn't wait around for a thank you from the residents, and it is a wonderful feeling. I made some that were girly and some that were more manly, most were somewhere in the middle but all were nice and would keep them just a little warmer when they were watching TV or setting in their wheel chairs visiting.
Ok so what is the challange, I chanllange you to do the same in your home town, it wouldn't matter if you make one lap quilt or 100, but do it and thank the generation that passed on many wonderful and needed skills to you. This would be a great thing to do with scouts or other youth groups of classes to continue passing on the tradition and skills. Just like someone did with you.
My Granny, Lilly Beatric Searan, of Oklahoma, passed away over 6 years ago at the wonderful old age of 92. She had 13 children and at last count, well she lost count as to just how many great grandchildren she had but it is well over 100. I'm not sure how many of her grandchildren quilt but we all remember her.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:50 AM

that is so nice! My Grannie is responsible for me quilting too. I found some Sunbonnet Sue squares she made years ago and decided to make more and divide hers up into lapquilts for my sisters and daughters. I have 3 of those to finish for Christmas presents this year but after that I would love to make one to take to a nursing home. I've already taken the first one I made to my Grannie.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Such a nice story, Kathy! My little grandma taught me to sew at age 10, and then my paternal gma got me interested in quilting a few years ago, so I give them both credit for my love with fabrics.
I would so love to eventually give some to nursing homes, and definitely going to donate some childrens quilts to hospitals.
I love applique and kiddie prints, etc. and have a daughter, that had several operations in Shriners Hospitals, so I want to give back.
What a great thread...and welcome to our group. Your one of us, as soon as you stick your toe in the water...so come out, lurkers, lol!!! :wink: (your depriving us, of your wonderful company :lol: )
Old 09-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

That is a wonderful challenge! Even retirement homes are great places to "share"...there are lots of people there who don't have anyone to visit them or to bring them any kind of gift..(large or small).. A great "go with" gift with the quilt is a few minutes of your time to say a cheery hello and how are you today. If you have time to sit for a few minutes to chat with a few of the residents, it really can make their day!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 PM

Thank you for taking up the challange.I have to say that you all bought a tear to my eye, it was of joy and remembering my Granny.

I love the idea of the children's hospital as well. My Granny would like that too.

I have a quilt top that my granny gave me that I have never quilted and now that I have a daughter that is married I came up with an idea for it. I'm going to cut it up into squares, and have my mom do her rush-n-punch on each square and than I will add to them to make them the size of a baby quilt and give them to each of my grandkids (when ever they show up) and that way they will be wrapped in hugs from their Great-Great Granny, their Great Grandma and their Grandma on thier mom's side.